break-in

canIdream?

Registered
going to buy the busa soon, the dealer will break it in for me on the dyno if I want him to... do i want him to?

going to buy the busa soon, the dealer will break it in for me on the dyno if I want him to... do i want him to?
I dunno I might be more inclined to break it in yourself on the road and break it in like you are going to ride it. But there could be some benefits I am un-aware of...

I dunno I might be more inclined to break it in yourself on the road and break it in like you are going to ride it.  But there could be some benefits I am un-aware of...
NO NO NO. Break it in your self to your riding style. Road conditions are different then Dyno conditions. Plus you wil know when things are not working correctly.

okay lets say im going to pamper it and ride easy on it for about two years, maybe not even break 100mph (which i am because traffic in japan is always bad) how would a dyno break in effect its performance in terms of this type of riding? im asking because i am clueless, not challenging.

Just my two cents.........
Look at it this way, if a man gets killed by a .22 and his wife by a 44 is she twice as dead? The point I trying to make is simply no mater how you decide to break your bike in it'll all wash out in the end. Lots of people talk about "the right" way to break a motor in and they may/may not all be right. but, I have yet to see one that didn't perform as intended based solely on the break in (this doesn't count flagrant abuse during the break in period). P.S. I've honestly never heard of breaking a motorcycle in on a dyno, but I guess there are stranger ways to do it.

Who better to decide how it should or shouldn't be done then the owner. I don't think it has alot of long term effects on the performance or longevity of the bike. I could be wrong but I think you'll be fine either way.......

Depending on whether you plan to break the bike in Per Owners Manual or Via the Whoop it into shape method you may want to break it in on the Dyno. If it is going to be a WHOOP it into shape kinda thing a Dyno would be a great way to break it in. If you are going to follow the owners manual, then Breaking it in on the streets of Japan should be the ticket. Below 5500 for first 600 miles (1000km). etc etc.

Only thought would be the effect the dyno has on the rear tire. I have heard they can be pretty rough on the rubber.
At least on the road you get to wear it in yourself and maybe a little more evenly.

I dunno, it's not like they are going to put it on the dyno for 600Miles though...

hmmmm... thanks for your inputs, it would be no problem keeping it under 5500rpm because i live on a small base and dont plan on going off base with the busa for a long time (too risky, waaaaay too many cars for comfort) but i read something about breaking it in like a kitten wouldnt seal the rings properly... or something along those lines

It is generally good to break in the bike with varying rpms and varying loads. All that metal in the engine was made separately and needs some time to wear to each other. Yes, the oil normally stays in between the metal, but during break-in the metal does wear on each other and chip/wear off(small pieces). That's why it is vary important to do your 1st oil change as recommended, there is a lot of metal in the oil and it needs to be replaced. You don't want to run the engine at the same rpm or same load. So the dyno isn't going to be the best choice unless someone is on it moving the throttle back and forth. All this isn't crucial because engines are really built well, but I'd definately do your first oil change as recommended.

Break in = 3 Heat cycles that is all
Has nothing to do with mileage
I love Your posts man...No Explanations, no clarifications, no supporting sentences....You're like the freakin "Post Terminator" "I'll be back" comes into my mind.

So what you are saying is basically they strap a brand new busa onto the dyno, Run it at Idle till it reaches it's operating temp. Then they shut it down let it cool and repeat three times? No, prolly not...

So they strap it in, REV the tits off it after it is warm and really get some heat going? Repeat three times?
rock.gif

I dunno, would be damn handy to know how it's actually done, might be something worthwhile to know for later on

Thanks AHNOLD... Gov. of California? Man thats weird...

Don't expect you to write a freakin disertation, but just a little more detail could be handy...

Thanks Bro...

3 Heat cycles =

Note: this should be done before it is ever put in gear

1)Warm bike up varying RPM in neutral no load till fan comes on.

2) let bike cool completely till motor and radiator is cool.

3) do it again 2 more time.

4) have fun blaze away WFO

Thanks for asking it is amazing what some people don't know

3 Heat cycles =

Come on JC......we all have our area's of expertise......this just happens to be yer specialty......and we respect yer poop dude.
Now........come over to my place tomorrow and re-plumb my house, then install a gas furnace, then go out and milk my cows, then harvest 350 acres of blueberries, then fertilize 140 acres of cranberries, then market all the blueberries to three different countries, and have them sold within the next month so you can have the packaging plant empty when you harvest the 3 million pounds of cranberries in Oct.
If you can pull that off with no training.......then I'll be impressed.
And I'm not tryin to piss you of here either......we really do respect what you have to say bout Busas.
beerchug.gif

ices_rofl.gif

This is what motorcycles that was sold in the last shop went through.
of course you could not walk in and walk out in an hour it told sometimes 4+hrs.
I also do this to every motor I build and then guess where it goes?
rock.gif

WFO on the dyno and then a custom map

I have a friend who told me about the Dyno trick the other day, and honestly I can see how it can help unless the load is varied. But hell for that much trouble just brake it in yourself. I will say this, the guy who works on my bike said that that breaking at with the thrash and haul ass method is not good. He says he has seen engines that are broken in properly and actually make for HP and compression later on.. And he has seen where a bike had been rode too hard during the break-in and have less later. I do think the 3 heat cycles is great though. I saw Johnny's reply before I bought mine and had the guys and the shop do it when they prepped it. THey thought I was a little weird, but I just told them it was a strange ritual I did with all my new bikes.....

drinka.gif

3 Heat cycles =

So No Dyno needed then?  Just breaking it in via heat cycles while in neuteral without any load....wierd...OK...

I know what heat cycles are, and I know what a proper break in is...Just not on a Dyno.  What you just described sounds like something from a Sci-Fi novel.  Three heat cycles just sitting and cooling....Hmmm, Yep  never heard of it... Anywhere...Ever...

WOW, It is amazing what people don't know huh!!!

So what do you know about MILSATCOM? How about Autocad? Photoshop? Bryce? How about Metalsmithing? Sculpture? NO?

Hmm, point is, what each of us doesn't know would fill the library of Congress dude....

Back