Break in

phatpounder02

Registered
A local shop says do not use mobil one in the bike. He tells me it will make the trany slip. Does he speak the truth.
PLEASE HELP. We are in the middle of moving and I cant find the manual. Thanks Tony

Mobile 1 with red or gold cap won't make it slip. On the other hand I wouldn't go with synthetic until after 2K or 3K miles.

I changed mine to Mobil 1 MX4T at 1200 miles. Just put the regular 10-40 in for now and switch it later. I've had no tranny problems and i've been through 3 synthetic changes now.

Run regular oil like Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Rotella-T 10w-40 for the first 1500 to 2k miles. Then go to synthetic of choice. Of course DON'T buy any oil that says energy conserving on the bottle for your bike.

I would run what the manual says for the first year. For warranty reasons. No need to give them a reason not to honnor your warranty. At 3000 mile I put 0w syn. in my bike at 7500 I got tierd of paying 9 bucks a quart. I now run 5w30 blue cap energy conserving CAR oil to 12000 miles. IT WILL NOT MAKE THE CLUTCH SLIP. Read more about this in Brock Davidson how to prep a busa on his web site.

Man how many times have I seen this thread. It all boils down to personal perference. you'll get some people saying don't use this use that, some saying don't use that use this, I saw where you weren't suppose to use 0w oil. or Fram filters. I know people who use both and have not had any problems. As long as you change your oil on a regular basis you shouldn't have any problems.

MX4T 10W-40
SHELL ROTELLA T 5W-40
ALWAYS RUN AT LEASE A 40 WEIGHT OIL IN A STREET BIKE.
umnik.gif

Man how many times have I seen this thread. It all boils down to personal perference. you'll get some people saying don't use this use that, some saying don't use that use this, I saw where you weren't suppose to use 0w oil. or Fram filters. I know people who use both and have not had any problems. As long as you change your oil on a regular basis you shouldn't have any problems.[/QUOTE]

Bingo...!
beerchug.gif

wink.gif

Here is another good point. With as many times as you will end up changing the oil during the break in period why would you want to dump more expensive oil down the drain? Use Dino oil for break in then move onto synthetic. Synthetic will not hurt your bike during break in it will just cost more.

For my break ins I change the oil at 50 miles, 100, 250, 500, and then run synthetic after 1000 miles. Some people will say that the rings won't seat properly if synthetic is used during break in but there are numerous companies that run synthetic in brand new engines. No worries, fill er' up.

Back