Break in

Busa Billy

Registered
Ok gang, There are lots of different break in methods. I am asking each of your personal breakin procedures. I have heard ride it hard to start and it performs better, and I have heard take it easy for 200 miles then open it up, then theres the mfg suggested break in. I will probably do the 200 mile job...Thats what Kawi does with their race bikes. So, let's hear it, what do you guys do?

Billy

I am trying to find this web site that I was looking at last week...The guy had a method of breaking in the bikes and had it down step by step..He also showed some pics of 2 pistons that showed on that was broke in normally and one that was broke in kinda hard..The normal one showed signs that it was not sealed right and the piston was burnt. The other was clean and shown no signs of blow by..I'll look more and when I find the site again i'll post it for you...

I broke my ZX12R in last year by riding easy the first 100 miles then riding it how ever I wanted. Had it the strip with 400 miles on it. Rode it 7245 miles and 250 1/4 mile passes and no problems. Never used a drop of oil. used mobil synthetic since 500 miles. Going to break the Busa in the same way.

I BEAT THE SH1T OUT OF MY BUSA ON THE STREET FOR 47 MILES THEN I HIT THE DRAG STRIP AND RAN IT TO REDLINE EVERYPASS.. IT WAS MADE TO RACE AND GO 200MPH NOT PUTT AROUND TOWN.

YOU RUN THAT THING AS HARD AS YOU LIKE AND IF IT BREAKS WELL THATS WHY THEY PUT WARRANTIES ON THEM.

BOB

I rode mine fairly easy the first 500....I however did vary the RPM's as recommended. Then at 500 I started pounding it.

Well, I recommend using the take it easy for 200 miles then slowly ramp it up (within manufacturer's limits>

I never fail to get at least 75,000 from my bikes.
thumbs-up.gif

Make sure you change the oil at 600 miles, 1200 miles and 2000 miles. At this point I go to Mobile1 15w50 full synthetic, and normal changing cycles. (around 2500 miles)

I don't know if there is a correct way to break in a bike. I have heard every way from ride it like you stole it to get on the highway and ride all day. You either get a good running bike or you don't. Luck of the draw I guess. I think I've been lucky and have had nothing but great bikes.

Hope it helps,

Steve

Well, I recommend using the take it easy for 200 miles then slowly ramp it up (within manufacturer's limits>

thumbs-up.gif
I don't imagine I'll put 75,000 miles on this one...But I do break them in similar...Take it easy the first couple of hundred miles then ride the @#!$% like you stole her or her #!@#%$# husband is after you....

thumbs-up.gif
I don't imagine I'll put 75,000 miles on this one...But I do break them in similar...Take it easy the first couple of hundred miles then ride the @#!$% like you stole her or her #!@#%$# husband is after you....
Well I have just over 18,000 in 11 months. I figure I'll hit 75,000 at about the same time I run out of warranty.
biggrin.gif

fireskull.gif

Got my first service at 500 miles (i.e. oil change, chain adjusted and oiled). Runnin' the f^ck out of her ever since. Now, I change my oil every 3000 miles. Runs like a bat out of hell.

Brian

A pretty common rumor is that 80 percent of the bike's break in happens in the first 30 miles, and 20 percent of the break in happens in the next 1000 miles. For me, I run the bike for the first 30 miles, keeping it in first / second and reving up the engine to about 7000 and then letting the engine slow me down. At 30 miles I take it right back for an oil change to get all the metal shavings and debris out. Those newly assembled engines have a substantial amount of dust, debris, sand, cloth fragments and other pieces of debris in them. Picture how dirty a factory is, now imagine how the inside of the engine looks when you get it. So get that oil circulated for 30 miles, load the enging up to about 8000 and back down.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU WARM UP YOUR ENGING FIRST!!!! LET THAT b&^#@ IDLE FOR AT LEAST 3 MINUTES @ 2000 RPM BEFORE YOU GET ON IT!

At the 30 mile oil change, I'll still put petroleum oil in it, like havoline till 500, then I change again, then change again at 1000.

So for me, this is how I do it-

1) always warm up the engine first
2) Run it to 8000 rpms in first/second gear letting it load and unload
3) change the oil at 30 miles, put petroleum back in it, Still loading the engine up to 8000 RPMS
4) change the oil at 500 miles with petroleum, and get the inspection done, after 500 you're ready to get on it
5) Change at 1000, and it should be ready for sythetic oil

I guess the only true test is to see how the pistons look at 60,000 miles.

Mike

Back