Break-in Service

KYT

Registered
I need to do the first maintenance on my '08
I know how to change the oil and filter, but what else is supposed to be done?
I've got the service manual, should I only do the things in the maintenance time table that are marked for 600mi break-in?
What would the dealer do if I took it to them?
I don't have $200-300 to throw away so the dealer can change the oil and tighten the exhaust bolts. F that

This is what's listed on the Maintenance Schedule

Maintenance and Lubrication: 0B-1

Tighten exhaust pipe bolts and muffler bolts
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Inspect throttle cable play (defintely need to do that)
Inspect drive chain
Inspect brakes
Inspect steering (inspect what?? yea it turns wtf am I looking for?)
Tighten Chassis bolts and nuts (uh which ones? all of them? omg that'll take forever!)

If the valve clearance and things like that need to be inspected/adjusted, I might just take it in. I don't have tools for that kind of job.
Or a garage, just an apartment complex parking lot.. yay
Probably going to have to end up buying a torque wrench, I hope those aren't too expensive.

I tried searching for threads on this, but I wasn't able to find the specific information I was looking for. Maybe I wasn't using the best search terms..
If there's already a thread on this that I missed, I'd appreciate the link.
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately i would doubt that a so called "full" service is actually "full" these days. I doubt a tech that has 10 bikes lined up to service is checking chassis bolts.

oil/filter....check fluids.....check cables......check bolts.....check chain.....check tires.....check idle.......check gas level and go ride:thumbsup:

Unfortunately i would doubt that a so called "full" service is actually "full" these days. I doubt a tech that has 10 bikes lined up to service is checking chassis bolts.

lol yea no doubt

oil/filter....check fluids.....check cables......check bolts.....check chain.....check tires.....check idle.......check gas level and go ride:thumbsup:

I do believe I can handle all those things just fine on my own.

omg.... changing the oil filter is b1tch...
I didn't have a socket wrench adapter thing that fit the filter, so I had to use one of those adjustable band kind.
had to disconnect the pipe that goes around the filter collar to the oil cooler too
Put a K&N filter on there, its got a 17mm hex nipple on the top, it'll be a lot easier to get off. I think the suzuki one was on WAY too tight
Had to use a whole jug of oil
But its done now YAY

Back