Break-in question

sykotyk

Registered
Hi Guys, nice board. I am the proud owner of a 2003 AE Busa. This is the first Suzuki I have owned and have a question on the break-in. I have looked in the owners manual and found nothing, the guy where I bought it said just to keep it under 6k. I can do well over 100mph and still be under 6k(my wrist jerked out of control a little the other day). What do you guys suggest. The last thing I want to do is break it in wrong.

FYI, I have owned a lot of other bikes and have been riding for about 20 years. My last sportbike was a 929 and I just got rid of a HD(long story).

TIA,

Richard

He he he... There may be MANY different views on this one! As an experienced biker, you probably already know the common sense rules. Some advocate a very hard break-in with the justification that "it will run better". Maybe! But that approach probably won't get you the STREET LONGEVITY that is engineered into the engine with a judicious break-in. Some parts NEED a reasonable break-in like BEARING COMPONENTS but I'm NOT suggesting that you "Baby-it" either.

I would hold to the 6K RPM limit for a few hundred miles while gradually rolling it on harder and harder toward that mileage/RPM limit. No SUSTAINED RPM travel during this period--vary the RPM and engine THROTTLE/LOAD frequently to subject all critical parts to various operating conditions. Change the oil and filter as early as you like after 50 - 100 miles. The first few miles create the most minute metal particles that the filter must trap or which might remain suspended in the oil during circulation. After that, start leaning on the throttle harder and harder but still without SUSTAINED RPM for a few hundred more miles. Also, try not to overheat the engine during the few hundred miles. After 4 to 6 initial engine heat cycles, the block, cylinders, etc. will have taken their "set" and remain that way consistently. By "heat cycle", I mean starting the bike, riding it at normal operating temps, and letting it cool completely = 1 heat cycle.

Change the oil religously and it should run hard and loooooong!

Thanks WarBaby, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure. Yeah, I read the article about the guy who breaks in at the track by blowin' an' goin'. Makes sense but like you said, I want longevity. I not only want to play in the canyons and the occasional track day, but also love to take long trips. Honda's break-in is kinda strict about mph for so many miles and so on. Cool this is gonna be fun.
Thanks....

Welcome to the board.
For the first 500 miles keep it below 5500 RPM
up to 1600 keep it under 8000 RPM
over 1600 keep it under 11000 RPM (yeah right :laugh: )

Break in is listed in the manual but it is only a one page kind of thing so you must have missed it. Either way the info needed is listed above and I recommend that you follow it just to be safe and like said above, vary your speed and load at least until 500 miles is up. Enjoy!

Ah But do not forget the alternative break her in like you are going to ride her theory. You know most of your breaking in is done in the first 20-30 miles so get on her twist the sh^t outta the throttle change tha oil at 50 miles and be done with it.... Not a recommendation, but there are folks out there who swear by it...

The MototuneUSA link was an "interesting" read. I KNEW this would happen and suggested as much above. I'll try not to be too defensive and just beat feet away after whispering (hint, hint) that among tons of successful racers and pro engine builders, a certain Hayabusa drag racer (who developed one of the best Busa exhaust systems available and who is the first rider to take a "street-legal" bike into the 7-second bracket--1/4 mile), also utilizes heat-cycling techniques for race engine break-in. Few things are as entertaining as good, passionate controversy! :tounge:

Thanks all.... I usually do the heat cycle thing as far as, I have a 5.6 mile trip to work. Just enough to get her hot then I put her away. I did make a trip to the Rock Store on Sunday morning but was careful not to keep maintained speeds on the freeway. It is a short trip (10-15 miles or so) but the longest I have been on so far. Hopefully I will get many years of reliable service and fun.

Thanks....

a certain Hayabusa drag racer (who developed one of the best Busa exhaust systems available and who is the first rider to take a "street-legal" bike into the 7-second bracket--1/4 mile), also utilizes heat-cycling techniques for race engine break-in.
Yeah! Just think what ol' Brock could do if he broke it in RIGHT! :bounce:

Back