Break-in Oil Changes

Runinwithscisrs

Registered
Is it required to have the dealership perform the 500 and 1500 mile services during breakin?

I just rolled my 2011 at its 500 miles. I usually do the oil changes myself but im worried if I do it that it may void the warrenty if something goes wrong in the future. Dealer charges $160 for the first oil change so doing it myself will save some $$. :banghead:

i took mine in for the first one. they told me they checked everything and made sure everything was torqued down and to specs:thumbsup: after that i've done all the maintenance on mine:thumbsup:

It's not just a oil change...and it's done @ 600 miles...no service due at 1500 ???
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not just a oil change...and it's done @ 600 miles...no service due at 1500 ???
Posted via Mobile Device

Dealer told me to do the first at 500 miles and the second close to 1000 after that. :hmmm: When I told them I always do my own service they didnt have a problem with it. This is just my first bike and it has the 4 year warrenty on it so I dont want to void it by doing something stupid up front.

Dealer told me to do the first at 500 miles and the second close to 1000 after that. :hmmm: When I told them I always do my own service they didnt have a problem with it. This is just my first bike and it has the 4 year warrenty on it so I dont want to void it by doing something stupid up front.

You can do your own oil changes and not void your warranty...just keep your parts receipts and notes on mileage and what you did...read your maintenance schedule in the owners manual. If you want to do more service than is reccomended...it's your $$$
Posted via Mobile Device

For $160.00 they better do more than just change the oil. Have them check everything, just like they did (or supposed to do) on a PDI. **** will come loose and fly off if not checked. The factory is not perfect in building every bike. Just tell the service writer that if the checks are not performed, his lunch will be ruined. :laugh:

I let my dealer do the first one on the '06 and the '08, kept up with receipts on other oil changes.

For $160.00 they better do more than just change the oil. Have them check everything, just like they did (or supposed to do) on a PDI. **** will come loose and fly off if not checked. The factory is not perfect in building every bike. Just tell the service writer that if the checks are not performed, his lunch will be ruined. :laugh:
And you will know if they did that how?

What kind of four year warranty did you get, first?
Second I'd make sure there are no clauses contained in it that state certain things have to be done at the dealer such as scheduled services.
Third I've never heard of a second service at 1k miles ?

I have done all my oil changes myself. I had to use my warranty for the rectifier service and had no issues or anything. Nothing in the warranty states who has to do the upkeep as long as you take care of it.

on a new enging (any engine) I run it hard under load for about 20mins then change the oil n filter after this i stick to the regular oil n filter intervals.
If you treat the engine like a woose during initial breakin you can glase the bores & potentialy ruin you're unit.

dealer did first service on mine, and only a few miles after I left the dealer, one of the seat bolts fell off.
They didn't torque them down after checking battery.

I'll go to dealer ONLY when absolutely needed...

dealer did first service on mine, and only a few miles after I left the dealer, one of the seat bolts fell off.
They didn't torque them down after checking battery.

I'll go to dealer ONLY when absolutely needed...

Me too...trust those monkeys about as far as I can pee without using my hands!

Im taking mine into my boys who have a shop on Sat. That way I get reciepts for everything that was done if anything comes into question later. Plus it will only cost me half of what the dealer will charge.

Back