break in? 09 busa

zachkuby87

Registered
Hey guys I have a bit of a unique situation. I've owned a busa and few other Suzuki's. Always used bikes. Today I was selling a Sportster to a dealer. Out of curiosity i asked if they had any hayabusas. They had two, one that was clapped out junk extended swingarm chrome garbage everywhere etc. And one on consignment. An 09 with 1,200 miles on it. She fired right up rode fine. Bike looks MINT. I checked out a 17 last week that was worse than this with no miles on it. I mean it's brand new. So I couldn't help but buy it.They replaced the tires but is there anything else I should check or worry about? Is there any sort of break in for a bike with that little mileage? I've never purchased new so I don't know. Should I baby it for a while? Ride it like I stole it?

I would change oil and filter if they hadn't already for you , then I'd ride it . Run it up in lower gears , to get a feel , then if free revving up to top of mid range 7-8,000rpm and no real rough spots , as you go put some miles on it , when you can , gas it it up in higher gears bro !!

“So I couldn’t help but buy it.” :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nice find. It’s old enough now, ridden or not, to change all bodily fluids.:D Amsoil is good stuff BTW. While you’re changing the brake fluid install some braided SS brake lines, maybe swap out the brake pads for some HHs., or you can wear out the stockers. Won’t take long. The fork oil should be ok until you need seals and the coolant might be ok as well despite its age. Have fun.:)

Paid 8 for it which I thought was fair given the condition of the thing. The bike is actually on consignment through the dealer. Apparently the guy got it, Some debilitating injury stopped him from enjoying it and it took him 8-9 years to finally throw in the towel. Now I'm going to gladly put some miles on that baby. I just wasnt exactly sure how I should treat a bike with such low miles. Lol. All my previous machines were well broken in before I got my hands on em. Thanks

Agree with what's been said. I would change everything, oil, coolant, fork oil, confirm chain condition and lube, lube everything (including wheel bearings), etc. Ride it normally for awhile then pull plastics and check all lines and such. After that go back to normal maintenance schedules. Time takes a toll whether you ride it or not, and some thing deteriorate faster if not used. Obviously, this might be going over board, especially if you can't do this yourself. But that would be my drill. Great bike though keep it and you safe!

Back