Break Bleeding or Fixing - Help

Vnaik

Registered
Hey Guys,

I was changing tires yesterday and %ucked up inspite of reading multiple posts that ask you not to do so......i was changing the front tire which went great and the hookedup the left caliper in the front and before i did the right one i pumped the front break without thinking. Now the pads are together and i can not get them to come apart. what are my options.

Do i bleed the breaks and that will solve my issue or is there a way around it. Also tips on bleeding the breaks will be much appriciated do i really need the mityvac?????? your input is appriciated thanks for your help in advance.....

V

Bout the only thing I can think of is getting one of those wooden door shims and trying
to wedge it into the crack between the pads and force them open. You can get them at home depot
or Lowes. They are pretty sharp on the end and you might be able to wedge one in.!!
Maybe someone has another idea. I don't think bleeding the brakes is the answer.

making sure NOT to get brake fluid on your ride... undo the cap on the handle bars for your brakes and then gently use a flat blade screw driver to slowly push the pads apart.

What they said, especially the part about not getting brake fluid on the plastics!

The only thing you can do dude is force a small screw driver between the pads. You may have to use a hammer to tap the screwdriver in. A very small flat thin chisel may work better. Once you get the pads apart enough to insert a large flat blade screwdriver you can pry them back into position.

Only do one at a time. Once you have the first one open, bolt it back onto the rotor before atempting the other side. If not, you'll just force the fluid back into the open one and it will close up again.

You may damage the pads in the process like taking a chunk out of the pad but it's your only option unless you disassemble the entire caliper.

It won't make any difference if the reservor cap is on or off, take your pick!

One other thing you may try (I have never attempted) is use a pair of chanel lock pliers. Place a rag between the lower plier jaw and the caliper so you don't mark the caliper and see if you can get a bite on the brake pad plate with the upper jaw. If so, just squeeze until you can see a crack between the pads and then revert back to the flat blade screwdriver to force the pads apart! Just a thought?

Res cap off makes pushing the fluid back through the system in my exp much easier and he already had one side installed on the bike so no chance of it closing back up. But, Tuf you pointed out a great tip in that IF both are off you can force fluid back to the one that is still open so use caution. Another thing that can work for opening them is a large C-clamp (mine is padded)...

wrap the screwdriver tip in some electrical tape or just some cloth so you don't gouge the pads or damage them!!

these guys are 100% correct,,,do not bleed them,,use a thin tiped screwdiver with the brake resevoir cracked loose and pry the pistons back slowly,,,I like the use of the c-clamps ,,on cars,,but I dont have a smal enough pair to use,,Ive used the thin }preferably wide] screw driver,,alot of speed shops concur,,,I was worried about brake shoe damage,,but havent ever scared them yet,,ussually they go back in pretty sweet ,exspecially if you work from the center of the shoe to not bind them,,so they retrack insync,,by doing so,they go back easily,,,,,,,,,PS I really need to get a C clamp for when changeing the brakes,,I agree with the uppers posts and the idea of the clamp would be nice , exspecially when the pads are wore down half way or better,,I didnt think of it then,,but I bet there is plenty of room to get a clamp in there to compress the caliper pistons,,youd be compressing on the old shoes anyway,,,,,good idea

Hey Guys i was able to pry it open with a small flat bar just gentle proading was enough to open it up thank you soo much for the input ......

I have never removed the brake reservoir cover to force the pads back.
And you don't have to booger up the pads. There is enough of the metal backing plate on the pad to spread the pads a little. Then use a non metallic, wood or plastic, you could wrap a clean rag around a flat screw driver, and slowly twist the pads back in. Don't force them and don't get in a hurry.

Back