Brand new shift rod, gone

mestona

Registered
I was on my way to class when suddenly, no shifter. Apparently I lost the rod shortly after shifting into 4th, rode the rest of the way there. Worst part is, brand new Gilles tooling rearsets and their hokey 3 piece shift rod. :banghead: Time to buy a boostbysmith quick shifter for my ECU editor...

Wow that truly sucks. Contact Gilles and tell them what happened, maybe they will send you a new one.

Wow that truly sucks. Contact Gilles and tell them what happened, maybe they will send you a new one.

Gonna try, the part I put together (the front part, which is the adjustable part) is still on there good and tight. (I used a ton of locktight like I do on all bike parts esp. stuff that moves) the part that came off was the black rod that goes in-between the adjustable part and the shift lever is what fell out. I'm hoping they will be reasonable about it, but if not I will have to figure something else out.

Factory replacement part is $52 FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

FUUUU.jpg

don't they have locknuts on there?

Yep and I put them as tight as I dared. The shift rod is 3-piece to adjust for position. I had the sets in the most up and back position so I had to use their extension. So this thing has 4 sets of threads holding it between the shift attachment on the trans and the one on the sets. Very unstable (way too many movement points) IMHO. I locktighted all the contact points except the adjustment site in the center (locktighting that would have prevented me from adjusting the rod as nessicary when changing the position of the rearsets) but it came apart at the extension on the front, the whole thing dropped off after the extension.

The exstension I locktighted on there is still there all by it's lonesome. I will take pics when I get home and post them up.:rulez:

Well I drove back over the same route and no luck. I will try again tomorrow morning when it is light out. Still pissed that the rear sets I got a week ago already came apart on me esp on the 4th time out. I'd be a lot less pissed if this happened a year from now, but this is unacceptable to me.

The more I look at it the more I think the rod had to have broke because the ends are still on the bike so the only way it got physically short enough to fall off would have been if it broke...

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0312.jpg

DSCN0311.jpg

As you can see both rod ends are there, the only way the rod came off is if it suddenly got shorter (i.e. broke) :banghead:

Update: got it sorted, props to Hard Racing, they contacted Gilles directly. Props to Giles as well, apparently there was supposed to be a jam nut on the rod end you can see me holding up in the 1st picture and they said lack of that nut would cause the failure. They are sending me a replacement rod and jam nuts no charge. In a couple of days all will be well with my rear sets again :please:

Thanks :beerchug: I've gotta say both those companies are on it and I would buy Gilles parts again, and I would buy from Hard Racing anytime.

Update: got it sorted, props to Hard Racing, they contacted Gilles directly. Props to Giles as well, apparently there was supposed to be a jam nut on the rod end you can see me holding up in the 1st picture and they said lack of that nut would cause the failure. They are sending me a replacement rod and jam nuts no charge. In a couple of days all will be well with my rear sets again :please:

that is great customer service!! glad they are fixing you up :beerchug:

Back