Brand new Busa over heating?

RickyVTEC

Registered
Hello all. My best friend just bought a 2005 Hayabusa. On his way home, he hit bumber to bumper traffic. The bike was overheating. Everybody is telling him that its normal. That the bike needs to be on the open road. Is this true? What happens in traffic?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, which means one of 2 things.

Fluids not checked at the dealer. make them check and purge and top it off.

Or the fan is not connected. The wires ae tight and may have pulled out. Again have the dealer check. hey can check the fan if it is running with out running the bike.

first off...what do u mean by overheating??

Was the temp just getting high and then the fan comes on?? If so thats normal...

Was the fan not coming on? Was there smoke? Did it actually overheat and shut off and smoke???

Overheating to me means that the temp was getting HIGH, no fan, then smoke, and bike is screwed.

If it got hot, stayed hot, but the fan was on...thats pretty much normal.

If its that bumper to bumper...shut her off completely....and walk it in traffic...thats what i do.

If your "overheating" means the temp guage going over the half way mark... well yes that happens with the busa if the engine is on idle for a prologed period of time. I suggest you to check all the hoses and the manifold to make sure there is no leak. If you are sure there is no leak... then I suggest you check the coolant level. If thats also ok... then -

a) Install the Muzzy Alluminium Fan
b) Make the coolant mixture richer, with 60% coolant and 40% water ... or go for Engine Ice (Best option)

Hope that helps

...and welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board. That happens to mine every so often, just when the bike is idling for awhile. Like everyone said, as long as the fan kicks on, it's pretty much normal.

Happened to me when I took out my 05 for the first ride. The temp when all the way to just under the red on the top of the gauge and then I got on the highway and dropped to normal. The Bike now has 2,000 miles on it and it has never happend again, not even close. Now it only goes to the middle line and then right back down.. Just wondering if the computer is allowing the motor to run that hot on the first run for some sort of break in?

Welcome to the board. Yes the Busa will get hot if you get stuck in traffic. It doesn't like it. The fairings are tight without a lot of room to breath. Check in to what Ninja Eater said and all that is good then look for a Muzzy replacement fan.

Welcome to the board. If the fan was going on and off while in traffic on a warm day, then thats normal.
wink.gif

Back