Brand New Bike - Problems Right Off - Not happy

mvanlone

Registered
I first want to say that I am not going to bash the dealership here in the forum. Who knows I maybe even have the problem resolved. Not sure. Yesterday after getting my insurance money from a totaled bike from a Hit and Run Drunk Driver, I bought a brand new 2009 black bike. Happy!!!......turned to sadness. The local dealer knew for 2 days ahead of time that I was coming in with a cashiers check for the bike. Day before yesterday, I put a small down payment of $100.00 until yesterday I paid for the whole bike. I explained in detail that make sure that the bike was ready. Ready as in the chain lubed and I can do the paper work and get on the bike. Makes sense huh!! I get there I gave them the cashiers check and did the paper work. I go and get my plate and they put the plate on. There was no battery on the bike. The guy told me that this is the 3rd battery they have took off of other bikes (brand new bikes, and batteries not charged) that they are trying to get it to start the bike. They put the 3rd battery in and it would not start. They come out with something to give it more juice (battery charger or something like that) and they started the bike. They made the bike idle a bit. I got on the bike and I am not used to the clutch from going from a 2007 to 2009, I stall the bike...they do the same thing again...get the bike started. I drive off. I drive like 15-18 miles to the house and at a light. I again stall the bike (getting used to the different clutch) and I cannot start bike. Luckly, there is a small road close by that is a hill....I go down it and pop the bike and I drive home. My friend gets there from driving my truck back for me and we ride on bikes to a eat. We left get to a light and I cannot hear my bike cause my buddies pipes are loud....same thing I stall on releasing the clutch....could not start bike. He pushes me and I pop it again. Get to his house another 5 miles away. Leaving there, I bearly able to start the bike....get to my place and I put it on the battery tender all night. This morning the battery tender states it is fully charge and no issues since...I drive it to work. The bike had like 30 miles and I would had thought that should been enough miles to charge the battery before I threw it on the battery tender ...yes or no? Do I still have a problem? Is it possible that the battery is ok and just needed to be fully charge? Should I demand the dealership get me a BRAND new battery? Or do you think everything should be ok from here and out? I am just hoping that it is not the bike....doubtful in my mind...thoughts? Not happy with the way the dealership handled this. I pay with CASH brand new bike....and I got to mess around...not liking this....thoughts!!

Last edited:
It's a new bike...have the dealer properly charge a
new battery and install it...problem solved.

As for the clutch...Gen1 vs Gen2...it's hydraulic
and it has not changed other than the internal
clutch pack. Learn to use it right :poke:

Reactions: Zee
TAKE IT BACK! There is something wrong with the electrical system cause it should start easily ALL the time. You shouldn't have had to go thru 3 batteries to get one to start it up. And the dealership you bought the bike from are worthless for sending you out like that on a broken bike.

Something is fishy here..........let them fix it!

:banghead:

TAKE IT BACK! There is something wrong with the electrical system cause it should start easily ALL the time. You shouldn't have had to go thru 3 batteries to get one to start it up. And the dealership you bought the bike from are worthless for sending you out like that on a broken bike.

Something is fishy here..........let them fix it!

:banghead:

I am wondering that all 3 batteries were in bikes that were just sitting and not charged....I think.

:poke::rulez: new fully charged battery and see if problem goes away....if not then they need to find and cure the problem

bad dealer... unacceptable, outragous. I would not have accepted the bike until it was ready or demanded another/refund.

Sounds like they installed a new "Dead" battery in the bike. New bike, right? A new battery should be charged for 12 hours min on low amperage to get it up and going. I wouldn't worry about it at all. May be good to put a trickle (2 amp) charger on it over night just to be on the safe side. You can also do a load test on the battery if you have any doubts. Stop by any Les Schwab Tire store and they will gladly test it for free right on the bike.

Congrats on your new scooter. ENJOY! :beerchug:

Last edited:
As for the clutch problem......I would have left it out of the tread. Your open to a good flaming.. :laugh:

Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

Last edited:
Who was the dealer? Obviously you didn't go where we all told you to....

As for the clutch problem......I would have left it out of the tread. Your open to a good flaming.. :laugh:

Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

Well since my 2007 had a full muzzy exhaust and than when you are on one of these new bikes...sound like a sewing machine....I usually go by what I hear when I use the clutch.....since the bike is too quiet....I cannot go by that....so it is different....

Well since my 2007 had a full muzzy exhaust and than when you are on one of these new bikes...sound like a sewing machine....I usually go by what I hear when I use the clutch.....since the bike is too quiet....I cannot go by that....so it is different....

Different to YOU, but the same :poke: :lol:

Who was the dealer? Obviously you didn't go where we all told you to....

No, but I got the local dealer where I have bought 2 other busas from without issues before. I got the local dealer to match the price of the dealer that you have mentioned. TRUST me....very grateful :bowdown:....out the door ... $10,790.35. The local dealer... Ask Powersports the Grove City branch.

Remember too that the charging system isn't charging the entire time the bike is running - and if you were staying within Breakin RPMs you wouldn't have charged the battery much; but enough to barely start when you left your friends house. I think your problem is solved.

Rich is right on the money, call say you are having battery problems, what they will most likely do is have a battery slowly charge up to full (what they should have done from the start) and have it ready for you to pick up tomorrow. If that doesn't solve the problem you are either stalling and restarting far more then you are saying or the bike has a charging problem.

Florida you have 30days to return a vehicle even motorcycles. I say return it and buy from a different dealership. But I am kind of a hard a$$ like that.

You need to learn how to use the clutch by the feel of the bike and not the sound.

Sounds like your battery may never have been fully charged. Leave it on a battery tender until charged and if you still have problems then take it back. No excuse for a dealer not making sure the bike was 100% prior to your driving off.

Back