Brand New Bike - Problems Right Off - Not happy

The charging system puts out full power a 5,000 rpms...if it makes
you happy...run it at 8k.

Problem is with a dead battery, the charging system is working so hard
that it can 'burn' out the system...it can even cause a electrical fire.

I have a dedicated 2A/6A charger just to prevent this.

:beerchug:

Well since my 2007 had a full muzzy exhaust and than when you are on one of these new bikes...sound like a sewing machine....I usually go by what I hear when I use the clutch.....since the bike is too quiet....I cannot go by that....so it is different....

My 08 didn't sound like a sewing machine the day I drove it home. Hmmmmmmm
Posted via Mobile Device

What a sh*tazz dealership.....I can't believe you let those idiots treat you like that. Since they don't know how to properly charge and install a new battery, it makes you wonder what else they screwed up during the prep work. Thats a sad, sad situation. And your current battery isn't going to last long either because of their lousy prep job :whistle:

Glad it seems to have worked out for you. I know you say you are not a newbie, but I would of raised hell if I am paying for a bike that isnt ready! I had to do this before and backed out of a deal because of there mess up. They called me back to work things out. My bike was suppose to be ready, and it wasnt! I told the owner of the shop that he lost a sale that day, when I was told it wasnt ready and wouldnt be ready until tomorrow. And they were the ones who told me to show up at a certain time! :rulez:

Glad it seems to have worked out for you. I know you say you are not a newbie, but I would of raised hell if I am paying for a bike that isnt ready! I had to do this before and backed out of a deal because of there mess up. They called me back to work things out. My bike was suppose to be ready, and it wasnt! I told the owner of the shop that he lost a sale that day, when I was told it wasnt ready and wouldnt be ready until tomorrow. And they were the ones who told me to show up at a certain time! :rulez:
+100 they shouldn't have let you left without making sure the bike was properly prepped. :moon:

If it was a brand new car; would you have drove off the lot with all those issues going on ? Sound like you had a case of Busa fever and couldn't wait to ride. Take it back!!! I would of walk off the lot when the bike wasn't ready....:moon:

Sounds like they installed a new "Dead" battery in the bike. New bike, right? A new battery should be charged for 12 hours min on low amperage to get it up and going. I wouldn't worry about it at all. May be good to put a trickle (2 amp) charger on it over night just to be on the safe side. You can also do a load test on the battery if you have any doubts. Stop by any Les Schwab Tire store and they will gladly test it for free right on the bike.

Congrats on your new scooter. ENJOY! :beerchug:

I tend to agree with Tuf. From reading your post it seems, like they shot you a line of crap and weren't ready for you to take possession of the ride. It also sounds like the bike is working correctly now. If that's true, you might want to keep in on the tender overnight for a little while, and then see if it operates the way it should without the assist. If not take it back. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Yes, maybe I should had just walked away and told them no deal. Yes, I was not treated the way a customer should had been treated. Especially, when they KNEW for 2 days before that I was coming with cashiers check in hand and I have bought 2 other busas before in the past. I thought at the time (when I was leaving from the lot) that the battery will just need to charge as I went and everything would be cool. Yes, I got pissed when I found out that this was not going to be the case, until I had the battery charged fully. I am glad that the bike is working fine now. Yesterday after I got out of work I drove the bike for over 2 hours. Enjoyed it the whole time. I am glad that it was not the bike that was having issues earlier when I had the problems.

P.S....it did not stall either the whole time I drove yesterday. Makes me think some how that the battery needing a severe charge that maybe the bikes charging system might had some play into it stalling. I kept thinking than it was me.....now I know it was not me. Anyways, if people run into similar situation than maybe that could be the issue. I did not change my driving style one bit.....since I have had busas for awhile.....

Last edited:
take it back, i had to sit for 5 hours to wait for the battery to fully charge before the dealer would let me leave.

Bingo!
I buy my new bikes from the same dealer and I'm very thankful that the same very experienced prep tech does all the set up for me. (I tip him well, it's well worth it to me). When they call to say the new bike is in, it's always, "see you tomorrow, when the battery is properly charged and ready to go".
Oh, FYI, there is way too much throttle slack set from the factory. Proper adjustment instructions can be found in the Owner's Manual. Do it, it'll make clutch engagement / gear shifting coordination much smoother for ya!

Your bike is under factory warranty, the dealer should fix the problem. You probably have a defectivve stator or rectifier, or the ground wire to the battery is'nt grounded properly. If it is the third battery in the bike then it is the charging system on the bike, not the battery. Giving the bike a jump start energizes the entire system, if the amperage is to high it can damage the charging system. None the less its not a major issue that can't be resolved. These things happen.

Last edited:
Your bike is under factory warranty, the dealer should fix the problem. You probably have a defectivve stator or rectifier, or the ground wire to the battery is'nt grounded properly. If it is the third battery in the bike then it is the charging system on the bike, not the battery. Giving the bike a jump start energizes the entire system, if the amperage is to high it can damage the charging system. None the less its not a major issue that can't be resolved. These things happen.

At this point there is no issue now. I cannot complain to dealer about a problem that I do not have. Yes, I can complain about my treatment and me standing around for 30 min for a battery and even complain the point that they knew I was coming there to get bike with cash and it still was not ready.....right now the bike is performing as expected.

"P.S....it did not stall either the whole time I drove yesterday. Makes me think some how that the battery needing a severe charge that maybe the bikes charging system might had some play into it stalling. I kept thinking than it was me.....now I know it was not me. Anyways, if people run into similar situation than maybe that could be the issue. I did not change my driving style one bit.....since I have had busas for awhile....."

:laugh:

It was you...once the engine is running, the charging system keeps the bike running...unless YOU stall it.

"P.S....it did not stall either the whole time I drove yesterday. Makes me think some how that the battery needing a severe charge that maybe the bikes charging system might had some play into it stalling. I kept thinking than it was me.....now I know it was not me. Anyways, if people run into similar situation than maybe that could be the issue. I did not change my driving style one bit.....since I have had busas for awhile....."

:laugh:

It was you...once the engine is running, the charging system keeps the bike running...unless YOU stall it.

Hmmm....I think that you will have to take a dead to close to dead battery and jump the battery to start it and test it. I beg the differ. I got back at lunch a few minutes ago and tested something. While at the red light without even hitting the gas, I allowed the clutch to engage and my bike started to go slowly (without) me hitting the gas. I could not do that on the day that I took the bike with a dead battery. I tried it and it stalled...hence why I was giving it gas a little before engaging the clutch after that. So what has changed from today and the day I took the bike? The clutch is the same, the engine is the same, it has to be something being a dead battery/charging system working. Again.....I did not change my driving style. Can you explain this? I would love to say I don't know what I am talking about or know how to ride a busa. I have been riding busas since 2006. I think I know how to ride them. If you can explain to me why I can engage the clutch from a complete stop and the bike will move forward today and why I could not do that the day I took possession of the bike...please explain this to me. I am dying for a explanation.

Last edited:
Whatever dude...once the engine is running, it runs off the charging system :thumbsup:

1st day with a new bike and everything was going just perfect right? It couldn't have been you? :whistle:

Just go out and enjoy your bike :thumbsup:

Thats a bad way to charge a battery....relying on the alternator to charge it from a dead state really works the alternator.

Whatever dude...once the engine is running, it runs off the charging system :thumbsup:

I don't think I agree with this 100%.

I know for a fact that I need to replace my battery. It's several years old now...has symptoms and...it's just time.

Now here is why I don't completely agree with your comment. I have one of those airhorn mods on my bike, this horn takes some juice to activate. On any given day, if I try to blow the horn when sitting there idling at a light or something, it usually will not blow. I am assume that this is because with the drain on the battery and from the bike, lights and what not that there just isn't enough current at that moment to do it. However, if I rev the bike or am rolling at speed the horn blows fine. Same thing happens with turn signals, at idle you can hear the drain on the system.

I could be wrong, but this leads me to believe that there must be some RPM where the charging system is actually producing more current than the bike is using and thus charging the battery. It just doesn't seem like there isn't much charging going on at idle. Same thing is true with cars. You can't effectively charge a dead battery in a car simply from letting it idle. You have to get out and drive the thing for a long time. Best way by far is to use a trickle on a new battery tho.

mvanlone said:
...and it stalled...

I've been silently following this thread from the beginning since I know mvanlone. The main problem I see here with the clutch is that it probably engages a little different (more grabby) than his OLD well USED bike did at the end. We become accustomed to how our bikes ride. Jumping on something different, particularly a brand new bike takes some getting used to. One of my buddies got a brand new ZX-6R and let me ride it. I stalled that thing 3 times because his clutch egages about a half inch from full pull, while mine is nearly the complete opposite. (Slight exageration). So the point of all this is, I found it hard to believe some of the bashing that went on in this thread because a guy stalls a brand new bike.

So as he said, he's not having the problem now. Bike's broken in and the battery is charged so we'll never really know. It could be possible that a weak battery would produce a weaker spark, which when combined with a brand new grabby clutch, could've been a handful. Particularly if your the type like me, who is used to rollin' off slow. These bikes are fast, but it ain't always a race.

Like others have said, go out and ride man, and look out for the drunk drivers.

Last edited:
I spent easily more then 80 grand at Ask Powersports. Mostly I regret it. I bought my 6th set of 2 new Seadoo's from them in 2003 and one ran for 5 minutes and died. They kept it for 9 months and ended up letting it get trashed from sitting outside and they never even fixed it. I ended up selling it for parts for $3000.00 That was the last time I ever spent money there. Rich the owners son-in-law did me like that. And I promise you up to 03, I spent more money at their store then anyone else probably ever has. Problem is, ASK does not give a **** about you after you give them your cash. Good luck.

Back