Brand New Bike - Problems Right Off - Not happy

Some of this episode has to be pinned on the dealer. That bike should have been prepped and READY TO GO when you showed up with your cheque. Maybe they were busy or had an emergency, whatever, they messed up and the catch up with all the batteries crap was not the solution. They should have at least taken the bike for a test ride and started and restarted the bike a number of times to make sure the bike was okay before letting it leave with a customer. Seems like common sense and good business sense to me?

I wouldn't have mentioned the stalling either.....I have ridden many bikes and many unfamiliar bikes over the past 30 some years and I think I might have stalled once?:poke::laugh:

Hope the bike is fine and this story is done. Good riding ahead!:please:

Some of this episode has to be pinned on the dealer. That bike should have been prepped and READY TO GO when you showed up with your cheque. They should have at least taken the bike for a test ride and started and restarted the bike a number of times to make sure the bike was okay before letting it leave with a customer.

+1
How could they deliver a bike without a complete prep.......:cookoo:

Florida you have 30days to return a vehicle even motorcycles. I say return it and buy from a different dealership. But I am kind of a hard a$$ like that.

In Florida, retail establishments can set any refund policy they so choose; however, they must post their policy at the point of sale. If there is no “no refundâ€￾ notice posted, you may, within seven calendar days of the date of purchase, return any new, unused item (in the original packaging) to the store with the receipt/proof of purchase. For a cash sale you would get cash refund and on a credit sale you would get a credit to the charge account that was used for the purchase.

There are exceptions to this rule, and these are the sale of food, perishable goods, goods which are custom made or altered at the request of the consumer, or goods which cannot be resold by the merchant because of governmental regulation. Although Florida law does not address the issue of deposits in such situations, many stores will not refund money on any custom orders.

Finally, the three-day right of rescission (buyer’s right to cancel), spelled out in Florida Statute 501.025, applies to home solicitation sales ONLY. A home solicitation is a sale in excess of $25 in which the buyer is solicited at a place other than the seller's business establishment, such as a retail shop. With this type of sales approach, the consumer has no prior knowledge of the solicitation. The Florida law was enacted to protect citizens from high-pressure door-to-door sales tactics, ambiguous or misleading contracts and poor quality merchandise.

Source Florida Consumer E-Newsletter, December 2005 - Division of Consumer Services, DOACS

So pretty much no, a dealer will make the battery right, there is no reason to request a new bike.

If the battery was pretty much dead from the get go then yes its possible that after riding it only 30 miles that it wouldn't be that fresh. Once you stop stalling the bike everywhere i'm sure it will crank fine once the batter is charged up. If you put a battery tender on it over night and fired up first thing in the morn and then is cranking fine everytime now...then i wouldn't worry about it:thumbsup:

sounds like you have solved the problem, i would have made them make sure the battery was good and charged before i ever took off with it, but i bet you were wanting to get out and ride like most of us, and the clutch thing sounds like you are just antsy with it being a new bike and all.. good luck...

Update 1:30 PM EST - I have taken my bike out during lunch and made a few stops and it has started just like normal. In fact it is not stalling either since I started to ride it this morning and I did not change my style of riding. This is my 3rd Hayabusa.....I am a not a noob. I am wondering since the battery was very low in power yesterday that some how it had an effect in the stalling. I don't know. But the bike has no ill effects like it was when I took it from the dealer. It rides like the busa that I know of. My wife had a 2008 busa so I know what the 2nd gen feels like. I am just used to the first Gen. I have no problem to let people know that it would stall yesterday, it was not a ego trip thing....in fact if someone gets in the same situation maybe this thread will explain it to them that might be why the bike stalls on that person.

Update 1:30 PM EST - I have taken my bike out during lunch and made a few stops and it has started just like normal. In fact it is not stalling either since I started to ride it this morning and I did not change my style of riding. This is my 3rd Hayabusa.....I am a not a noob. I am wondering since the battery was very low in power yesterday that some how it had an effect in the stalling. I don't know. But the bike has no ill effects like it was when I took it from the dealer. It rides like the busa that I know of. My wife had a 2008 busa so I know what the 2nd gen feels like. I am just used to the first Gen. I have no problem to let people know that it would stall yesterday, it was not a ego trip thing....in fact if someone gets in the same situation maybe this thread will explain it to them that might be why the bike stalls on that person.

I would still put on a battery tender for the next few days, to make sure
the battery gets a full charge. You can burn up your charging system riding
around with a dead battery trying to charge it up.

Yes, I know what you mean. This morning before I took the bike to work. It stated on the battery tender that it was fully charge. The next few days I will leave it on the battery tender at night. I feel much more confidence that the battery was just low. I was a nervous wreck lastnight, I feel good now. Thanks for everyone's input.

Yes, I know what you mean. This morning before I took the bike to work. It stated on the battery tender that it was fully charge. The next few days I will leave it on the battery tender at night. I feel much more confidence that the battery was just low. I was a nervous wreck lastnight, I feel good now. Thanks for everyone's input.

:thumbsup:

In the future, if the bike is not right...or not ready 'to go'...don't take delivery :rulez:

i think the "bum battery" thing must be common with some dealers. for me, they swapped out 2 batteries that were flat dead and finally a 3rd that did the trick. while i was waiting to finalize my paperwork, i watched several employees scramble to swap a battery for another customer that was trying to roll out with his new ride. as for the clutch thing, i think you just need to get used to it and make the right settings that work for you i.e. 1,2,3,&4. on the lever.

I had a similar problem when I bought my Harley. After riding for about a week the bike would not start. I charged the battery and that would work for a few days but eventually the problem would come back. It ended up just being a bad battery but it's not fun riding a unreliable bike around town. Glad you got it fixedv:thumbsup:

Have this episode documented with the dealership/service dept...this will help you if you have any further battery/charging
system failures. Even if it is a covered item under your warranty, you need to protect yourself from all the BS that could happen.

I would even demand that the dealer throw in the 'first' service for all the trouble that you had, also have them test the charging system and verify the electrolyte (acid) level in the battery. In the battery was not filled and charge properly...this could cause
all sorts of problems later.

I had the ame problem with my BKing. It took more than a bettery tender to get it charged correctly. The dealer put it on a higher amp charge for 8 hours (4 amps)and it was fixed. I had the EXACT problems you had without the stalling though. The battery has been fine ever since. Good Luck!

My local dealer keeps a few new batteries on their multi-charger for just this type of problem. They sell all of their batteries fully and properly charged.

Can't I just ride around at 8,000 RPMs for a few hours? :whistle:

Can't I just ride around at 8,000 RPMs for a few hours? :whistle:

The charging system puts out full power a 5,000 rpms...if it makes
you happy...run it at 8k.

Problem is with a dead battery, the charging system is working so hard
that it can 'burn' out the system...it can even cause a electrical fire.

Last edited:
take it back, i had to sit for 5 hours to wait for the battery to fully charge before the dealer would let me leave.

Back