Brakes - What to get?

MYRUSTYBUSA

Registered
I have a 03 oarnge busa. I installed an ARATA ti pipe and had the computer reprogramed. DYNO is 158hp. I am getting my BST carbon Fiber front wheel in two weeks. I want to get some high quality rotors to install on the new wheels. My goal is to lighten the busa as much as possible. Although I am difinetly not rich, money is not a problem. Does anyone have advice as to best choices? BREMBO, AP, FRODO, EBC??? I believe the ap mono block brakes will be a good choice.

I got marchesini wheels and wave rotors with HH pads
smile.gif

P1010263.JPG

I have Galfer Wave rotors with HH pads, I also changed the bolts that hold the rotors to Titanuim bolts from Pro-Bolt. The total wieght saving is about 1.5 lbs. and to tell you the truth combo'ed with the Stainless brakes lines the Busa will stop on a dime...
biggrin.gif

Hayabusa_045.jpg

I just can't help but think that the wave rotors - while the current fashion trend - reduce swept area; given an equal circumference; which isn't conducive to increased energy conversion; brakes being kinetic to heat energy conversion systems.

I also just can't help but wonder what happens to a wave rotor under increased heat expansion conditions which, I'm guessing, will occur with the increased force applied to the rotor necessary to compensate for the loss of swept area, in order to achieve equal brake performance with a non wave rotor.

Just the ramblings of a madman...

Steve

<!--EDIT|Aughtsix
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099247788 -->

Listen, no offense to anyone who has wave rotors, they look cool but the moto GP guys were givin them years ago and they all said they were poop. They all went back to regular vented right away. Much better stopping.

The Galfer wave rotors have worked great at trackdays on my TLS and still work great on my Busa that they are on now. I have no plans on entering the busa in moto gp anytime soon.
tounge.gif

Moto GP as far as I know use carbon rotors, carbon pads, a setup I could never get hot enough to work right, at least not on the street.

The wave rotors are good IMO. Look good, work well and weigh less than stock.

Hey thanks for the replies. I will be getting the from wheel in a couple of weeks. I want to put some good rotors on it and youve provided some good information.

When I cruse the Brake dealer websites, it appears that wave rotor are not what works best. Seems old style is the way to go.

I will definetly want carbon carriers. For weight. My question is, how can I get carbon brakes. I saw them on the niki hayden honda GP bike. They looked nice. I would like to give them a try to see if they will work for this sport commuter. Bottom line is that I need to loose wieght and rotor wiegh a pound or two each.

Welcome to the site.  I dont know how you ride, but speaking from experience I think the best advice for you is to convert to radial mounted calipers. I would've converted already if my dealer stocked the conversion brackets for Ohlins. I dont know any of the members here personally and I dont know how they ride, but I ride hard.  I like to take turns hard and I brake late and hard into the turn.  Wave rotors are a waste of time, carbon carriers for the street are a waste of time, carbon brakes for the street will get you killed.  If you had carbon brakes for the street they would take at least 20 minutes of hard street riding to warm up and then when they finally "bite" it would throw you over the bars onto the hood of the car in front of you.  I have HH pads and steel lines, and Brembo full floating rotors on my bike and it made a noticeable difference over stock.  Thats not saying alot on our bike. I'm running DYMAG full carbon 5-spokes so I am experiencing the same forces as ROBOPTI and I am not impressed and I know I can get have stronger brakes. I plan converting to the radial mount calipers this winter so I wont have any feedback for awhile. Be safe.

<!--EDIT|slowbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099700641 -->

back_wheel.jpg

FOr those of you who have done substantial modifications for lightening (such as carbon wheels, replacement exhaust, etc.), have you noticed any negative change in the character of the bike? Does it still feel as stable and comfortable? Do you believe the lightened parts will be as durable as the ones they replace? Does the bike still FEEL like a 'busa?

I bought the Brembo Upgrade Kit from Yoyodyne. Working with Fred, we kept the previously bought front wave rotors--he took the Brembo rotors out of the kit and reduced the price. When I received the Brembo Brake shipment, I did not like the weight and chunkyness (looked like they could stop a train) of the Brembo Gold Calipers so I exchanged them (again working with Fred) for a set of Brembo GP calipers (twice as much in cost) which also required different brake lines.  

I really like the GP Caliper's performance, no drag when released.
biggrin.gif
 Slow speed, I can hear them click on and off.

I am still looking for a good rear brake with a hanger that eliminates the brake arm bar.  
sad.gif

FOr those of you who have done substantial modifications for lightening (such as carbon wheels, replacement exhaust, etc.), have you noticed any negative change in the character of the bike?  Does it still feel as stable and comfortable?  Do you believe the lightened parts will be as durable as the ones they replace?  Does the bike still FEEL like a 'busa?
The weight savings might look great on paper but the overall feel of saving weight is minimal. Especially the rims. When I'm throwing the bike over in a high speed turn it feels the same as riding with the stock wheels with an empty gas tank. Thats the best I can describe it. But the wheels along with the Ohlins forks give me superior feedback that was well worth the money.  The forks also allow me to dive hard into corners on the brakes without bottoming-out, and feel exactly what the front end is doing. The Ohlins rear shock keeps the rear end planted, stiff with awesome feedback. The rear end used to feel bouncy when i had the bike leaned over going through fast turns with imperfections in the road.  My bike feels more stable than it ever did.  As far as wheels being more durable than stock I wont know for another two years.

<!--EDIT|slowbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099717531 -->

FOr those of you who have done substantial modifications for lightening (such as carbon wheels, replacement exhaust, etc.), have you noticed any negative change in the character of the bike?  Does it still feel as stable and comfortable?  Do you believe the lightened parts will be as durable as the ones they replace?  Does the bike still FEEL like a 'busa?
I have a set of Marchesini wheels on my Busa now that for about 5 years  were on my TLS. On both bikes I really like the improvement that they have made. Steering the bike from side to side is noticable easier IMO.

These wheels have been trouble free for the 5 years I have had them.

Back