Brakes hanging up

bubbaloo

Registered
Hey all, having an issue with one front caliper hanging up and heating up the caliper. Pulled pads and cleaned things up. Just wondered if any of you have had the same problem?

What does it mean hanging up? Does it heat excessively from normal braking, or the brakes are dragging, i.e. it heats up without any braking? More details?

Did you clean the pots properly. Normally, with the pads off I would pump them until the pots came out a little. Be careful not to pump too much or the pots will come out and then you're screwed. Then use brake cleaner/WD40 to get rid of the ring of grime on the pots. Grease the pots up and push back in. You may need to remove the master cylinder cover and take out some fluid so that you can push the pots back in.

When you pump them off the bike, you can put a piece of wood in between them that will stop them from popping out.
That will tell you if one of them is sticking.
You can also clean them with brake kleen and then rinse them with a spray of water, and wipe them off.

Yeah I pumped each set of pistons out far enough to wipe the crud off them , sprayed everything with brake cleaner and blew them off with compressed air. I think they have been dragging for a while but noticed it when I put on the HH pads. One piston is a little harder to push in , I hope the seals are not cooked from the heat or it will be pull it apart and rebuild it time. Thanks guys.

Actually, i've taken the calipers completely apart to clean them cuz I HAVE the same problem and if the pistons pop out, don't worry, they slide right back in. DO NOT ever use WD-40, or grease on calipers for any reason, those are petroleum based products and the oil will swell the seals....

actually, i've taken the calipers completely apart to clean them cuz i have the same problem and if the pistons pop out, don't worry, they slide right back in. Do not ever use wd-40, or grease on calipers for any reason, those are petroleum based products and the oil will swell the seals....

+100!

Back