Brake upgrades for busa

Rocketman

Registered
After watching the 2008 Busa II track video, they really hit something that has bothered me on the track with my Busa - the brakes.

On the twisties, I just don't have a lot of confidence in my brakes. They don't feel like they slow the bike down fast enough for my comfort level. I noticed that Adam Childs mentioned that the brakes on the Busa II give the confidence the Busa I didn't have.

Is there a set of brakes I can put on the busa that will give me the confidence and feel I'm looking for on the track? (Miller Motorsports Park.)

have you gone to a different pad yet? What about your lines? I switched to radial levers and the "feel" is amazing.

P1222248.jpg

P1222245.jpg

P5283276.jpg

There are many improvements that can be made to the Busa's brakes. At a bare minimum, I would recomend a aftermarket lines for the front combined with a set of HH pads.

You can take it as far as you want to go. I have changed to Galfer Wave rotors, Galfer race pads, Brembo Radial master combined with Goodridge lines. Two finger braking on Road Atlanta's back straight getting ready for turn 10a.

(vman1300 @ Sep. 13 2007,01:13) There are many improvements that can be made to the Busa's brakes. At a bare minimum, I would recomend a aftermarket lines for the front combined with a set of HH pads.

You can take it as far as you want to go. I have changed to Galfer Wave rotors, Galfer race pads, Brembo Radial master combined with Goodridge lines. Two finger braking on Road Atlanta's back straight getting ready for turn 10a.
Approximately, what did you end up paying for all these brake mods and any recommendation on where to purchase?

Thanks - you guys are awesome!

Check out the Group Buys forum - Cycle Brakes (one of our Sponsors) has a GB going on right now!

ebc hh pads   $80
SS brake lines   $80
radial master cyclinder  $300-400?
aftermarket rotors   $500-700?
Brembo radial calipers $$$$

I just put on a pair of ebc hh on my fronts. HUGE and I mean HUGE diff in stopping over stock pads.

Never really had a problem with the factory brakes, have brought the bike down quickly from, let's say triple digits. The front end dives like heck, but I've never adjusted the suspension either.

Now with that said I've used the EBC HH pads and they were noisy. I'm currently running the Galfers with no complaints.

Good luck

(dadofthree @ Sep. 13 2007,04:19) Never really had a problem with the factory brakes, have brought the bike down quickly from, let's say triple digits. The front end dives like heck, but I've never adjusted the suspension either.

Now with that said I've used the EBC HH pads and they were noisy. I'm currently running the Galfers with no complaints.

Good luck
Until I went on the race track, I really had no complaints. But flying into a corner at 125mph and having to back it down to about 35mph repeatedly, there's no confidence after a few laps on the stock brake system. Don't get me wrong, it slows down, just takes some effort and planning. I will try the HH pads if that's the solution. But I think it might need the whole system refined with the ss lines, rotors, pads, and calipers. But - I don't know either... Maybe the HH pads are enough.

The bike is heavy for the track - but compared to a 'track' bike - like the Zuk GSXR1000 or the ZX10R, the brakes on a busa just don't instill much stopping confidence. According to the new busa riders, that has all gone away with the busa II brake system.

(Rocketman @ Sep. 13 2007,12:26)
(vman1300 @ Sep. 13 2007,01:13) There are many improvements that can be made to the Busa's brakes. At a bare minimum, I would recomend a aftermarket lines for the front combined with a set of HH pads.

Approximately, what did you end up paying for all these brake mods and any recommendation on where to purchase?

Thanks - you guys are awesome!
I am a site sponsor as well, www.mrcycles.com. Right now, due to recent surgery, I am in and out of the office about everyday.

Tomorrow, I should be in from 12 noon to maybe 2pm Eastern.

I did a write up on the items I used, but the "search" is not working for me. Try "brembo" as a key word this month and older.

I can do rotors from Braking a bit cheaper then the Galfers and race pads start at about $40/set.

Let me know if I can help.

Kevin

Let me put in a plug for Braking rotors and Vesra pads. I'm 230lbs. and ride really hard.....no fade, 2 fingers, even after 45 minutes of hot day fastriding in twisties. I think there are quite a few aftermarket choices that result in serious brake improvement. Way more important to do 1st than "5 more horsepower stuff". Raydog

(Rocketman @ Sep. 13 2007,07:00) After watching the 2008 Busa II track video, they really hit something that has bothered me on the track with my Busa - the brakes.

On the twisties, I just don't have a lot of confidence in my brakes.  They don't feel like they slow the bike down fast enough for my comfort level.  I noticed that Adam Childs mentioned that the brakes on the Busa II give the confidence the Busa I didn't have.

Is there a set of brakes I can put on the busa that will give me the confidence and feel I'm looking for on the track?  (Miller Motorsports Park.)
A stronger hand and foot is all you need
tounge.gif

I would advise a gradual systemic approach. Pads, fresh (high boiling point) fluid and lines are an absolute must on any motorcycle not just a Busa. Then it becomes a bit of a jump ball between rotors and master cylinder as to which provides more bang for the buck. I personally am not really in love with the wave rotors and would really love to have a set of Braketech Axis Rotors for Christmas. Then it would be radial master cylinders, which for whatever reason Suzuki chose to go cheap and not include on the 08
rock.gif
There are a lot of really nice aftermarket ones out there but I find myself occasionally looking around on the showroom for an OEM Radial pump master that would work on the busa without breaking the bank.

P.S. Give Kevin a call he'll hook you up!

Correct me if I am wrong but the wave rotors main function besides being in style is to cut down on rotating weight. My thinking is that wave rotors are a waste of money on a street bike.I would rather spend my money on pads and a radial master cylinder.
lurk.gif

Back