Brake Pad Spreader

Pjpcardoso

Registered
Hello guys.
What are the best Motorcycle Brake Pad Spreader for single,four or six caliper?
I want to change my brake pads on my busa 2gen but i want to do professional job
When you guys mension some tool please put a link about that.
Thanks

Hello guys.
What are the best Motorcycle Brake Pad Spreader for single,four or six caliper?
I want to change my brake pads on my busa 2gen but i want to do professional job
When you guys mension some tool please put a link about that.
Thanks
The spreader in the video is fine if you're working on a car. I don't think it will collapse far enough for a bike. After I have the caliper loose I will tilt it back and forth on the rotor. That will push the pistons back in slightly. Then I use a piece of wood about 3" by 6" 1/4" thick. Put it in between the old pads. Then just pry a little to work the pistons back in. Not that hard to push them back in. Really anything that you can fit between the old pads and put a little pressure on the pistons will work. They'll move slow. But they will move.

The spreader in the video is fine if you're working on a car. I don't think it will collapse far enough for a bike. After I have the caliper loose I will tilt it back and forth on the rotor. That will push the pistons back in slightly. Then I use a piece of wood about 3" by 6" 1/4" thick. Put it in between the old pads. Then just pry a little to work the pistons back in. Not that hard to push them back in. Really anything that you can fit between the old pads and put a little pressure on the pistons will work. They'll move slow. But they will move.
Yep, I concur...I've also used a claw hammer by placing the claws in between the old pads and twisting the hammer, I can usually get the pistons in easily enough.

Yep, I concur...I've also used a claw hammer by placing the claws in between the old pads and twisting the hammer, I can usually get the pistons in easily enough.
I agree... As long as you're pushing on the old pads you can't hurt anything. I have used a big screw driver. A small pry bar. And as you mentioned a claw hammer would work good too.
The most important part to me is DO NOT pump the peddle or lever depending on witch you are working on front or rear. I usually put a block between the lever and the hand grip if I'm working on the front. Or lock the peddle with a piece of wire for the rear. The last thing you want to do is push the pistons out of the caliper.

I agree... As long as you're pushing on the old pads you can't hurt anything. I have used a big screw driver. A small pry bar. And as you mentioned a claw hammer would work good too.
The most important part to me is DO NOT pump the peddle or lever depending on witch you are working on front or rear. I usually put a block between the lever and the hand grip if I'm working on the front. Or lock the peddle with a piece of wire for the rear. The last thing you want to do is push the pistons out of the caliper.
Yep a screw driver of medium to large size is what I use.

. . . .. The last thing you want to do is push the pistons out of the caliper.
It's funny to hear that, every day at work I'm 'pushing trhe pistons out of the calipers . . . .
on farm quads.
They are so gummed up with poop and mud etc, the calipers have to be removed, stripped, the seals removed and cleaned with the seal recesses also cleaned out,
the slide pins freed up, cleaned and regreased, and the reassemble the calipers, fit them back on the mounts on the hub, flush new fluid thru the system, bleed the air out and test them. Every day, every quad, every 1000km service.
So for me to push pistons out, it's the quickest most efficient way of getting stuck pistons out of dirty old calipers.
But we are talking about pristine late model Busa calipers here in this thread,, and I know what you are saying when you it's the last thing . . .
A lot of people ride around on their beloved bike blissfully unaware that they have sticky semi-seized pistons in their brakes.
And it's almost always due to lack of servicing.
As soon as I get a new (to me) bike, regardless of the history that is conveyed to me by the vendor, I check the brakes , the fluid condition, the brake pad condition and what type of pads, the rotors condition etc, etc.
I then service them to as new condition.
But if you service your own brakes, as many here do, the fitting of new pads and fluid change with air bleeding is a cinch.
By the way, when pushing pistons back, try putting a hose on the bleed screw going to a bottle, open the bleed screw, clamp the (rubber) brake hose, and push the fluid out the bleed screw rather than pushing it up through the M/Cyl and into the reservoir. makes it easier to push the piston back too.
My 2c.

Last edited:
Also, this is very important. Remove or loosen the brake resi lid to equalize the pressures in the system. After the new pads are in, pump the lever up to seat them, pull the lid to check fluid level and your good.

Back