Brake lines turned light brown - should I be concerned?

IG.

Registered
I installed stainless steel braided lines a few years ago. Clear plastic, and braided steel under it. Just recently, I was checking the area under the nose with the flashlight, and noticed that in some parts the brake lines have light brown color - mostly in the middle, and one one line closer to the caliper. It seems the outer plastic part is still clear, and the light brown color is inside.

I did replace the brake fluid in March, but never looked at the lines with a flashlight. The upper portion of the brake lines closer to the reservoir is clear without the light brown color - otherwise, I would've noticed a long time ago.

Any ideas?

I would consider the possibility that it is brake fluid that has surfaced past the stainless layer of the line. If that is the case, that means there is porosity maybe due to an accidental crimping or manufacturing defect. If you are riding hard and the fluid heats up....and/or you apply intense pressure, it simply will escape where the flaw exists. OK. that's the worst case, it could just be "burned" inside surface of the flexible clear coating because the s/s has gotten so hot(heat transfer from the fluid). If you don't see actual fluid inside the clear coating...I'd bet on the latter. One of the reasons we don't hear much about this is that so many s/s lines these days have non-transparent covers (black, colored, etc.). Anyways, that's my take, based on past experience. Raydog

Last edited:
OK. Just exchanged a few emails with Goodridge.

If the discoloration is not heat related, there is nothing to be concerned about.

Back