Brake fluid boiled again!

OB_DangerMouse

Registered
it's ok Lyle we are not suggesting Dot 5 but Dot 4 or Dot 5.1, 5.1 is actually high spec Dot 4 (Glycol based) the 5.1 designation is more popular in Europe than in the states!

Dot 5 and 5.1 have nothing in common!

The first time this hapend was on a circuit.
After about 8 laps, going faster and faster (braking harder and harder) I went over 260kph on the straight.
When I hit the brakes al went well about 1 or 2 sec, then my brakes got soft and the brakingpower came close to zero.
Still going to fast for the first corner I choose the gravel and luckely kept to good side up.
The brake-pads where going a little thin, and with the frequently hard braking I tought "well this SH** could happen"
But last week doing some redlight runs (Go and stop on the public road) the same problem occured.

Does anyone know a good solution about this problem?
Stock bracking-pads supposed to be good (or not?)

Why would you ride it that fast in track conditions with a stock brake system? The brakes were made for fairly aggressive street riding, not for the racetrack. I've never had a problem with brakes, or anything on my bike.

This day on the circuit was offered to me for 1/2 price so why not, its fun.
But as it just went right that day I want to have better brakes.
So the next time I go on a circuit I can be sure that my bike will stop (and keep stopping)as good as the acceleration is!!
So what are some good changes??

Maybe you need to switch brake fluid? Then again are you sure that your brakes aren't actually on when you're hand isn't on the lever?

It doesn't make much sense that your brake fluid would boil after 8 laps unless you are riding the brakes.

I've never had a problem with the brakes on my BUSA. Use them... Let them cool a bit and use them again. Sometimes I get a slight fade, but nothing that a quick top speed blast can't cool down.

Castrol RS dot 4 brake fluid (higher boiling point than dot 5, and compatible with dot 3,4 and 5.1 fluids.) courtesy of Pooh (or was it Dm or mm1 or someone like that in UK!!)

EBC HH sintered front pads

Twin line Stainless steel braided Kevlar lines and stainless banjos & bolts

Job done.

Nuts ;)

Indeed NNs I run Castrol RS, which has stopped the brakes fading completely.

However I still have severe brake problems on the track, I think I have a faulty Master cylinder or caliper as my brakes are still shite despite the following mods...

AP Racing GG Pads
BSR lines
PFM SuperSport Discs (Rotors)
Castrol RS fluid.

I tried Poohs Busa with almost stock brakes (just braided lines fitted) they were 10x better than mine!

Houston - we have a problem (beep)

I have got the Stainless steel lines in order and will be mounted in 2-weeks.
I will try the Castrol fluid then also. (Now got a dot 5.1)
Thanks.

But a friend of mine who races a gsx600 says that stock pads are as good as any.
true or not ?

DM

I do stoppies with little finger!!!

you have a problem over (beep)

Are you loosing fluid?
If not then I would suggest the rubbers on the actuating piston in the reservoir(if you look in the top and pull lever you will see)

If you 'pump it up and hold hard, does the lever get closer to the bar??

You know all this so why am I telling you!!!!

Madman K
try changing them to HH's. You'll see (the front of the bike pretty damn quick!!)

Nuts ;)

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 24 July 2000).]

Brake fluid boils when it has dissolved water in it. The fluid itself attracts water from day to day dampness. That's why you never leave a can of brake fluid open.

Get a fresh can of DOT 4 (not 5) and replace your brake fluid. That should solve the boiling problem.

I tried those EBC HH pads in the front of my Busa but found them to be next to usless they were over size so rubbed on the disks all the time and bit so hard there was no way you could ride the bike on uk roads in the winter without a trip to the hospital for you and a repair job for the dealer,also they were scoring up the disks something awful sent them back and got a letter from EBC confirming that they were oversize with an offer to replace them with the correct size ones I declined and went stock at twice as much but with loads more feed back and control.
Funny thing is I have been running EBC HH in the rear for some time now with no problems at all weird.

hey Bruce, I have ne problem with the EBC HH's

yeah, they rub a bit, They have actually cleaned up the rotors after the stock ones pitted the hell outta them.

To stop the rubbing noise (according to TMH) ensure pistons are pushed RIGHT back into calipe before installing new pads, as the seals have a sorta memory and remember where the last pad sat, and want to go to the same place (understandable really if you think of all the heat in the system.........)

Nuts ;)

Back