Brake clean ok for chain orings?

WD 40, regardless of its many uses is a SOLVENT and will get by the O rings and wash away the lubricant they’re supposed to protect. I do use it but only on a rag to clean the side plates but I do not spray it onto the rollers.

I understand. Personally I try to go with the book

"Clean and lubricate drive chain Every 1 000 km (600 miles)
Clean and lubricate the drive chain in the following procedures: 1) Clean the drive chain with kerosine. If the drive chain tends to rust quickly, the intervals must be shortened"

Copy and pasted from the manual! Thats by the book!

"Clean and lubricate drive chain Every 1 000 km (600 miles)
Clean and lubricate the drive chain in the following procedures: 1) Clean the drive chain with kerosine. If the drive chain tends to rust quickly, the intervals must be shortened"

Copy and pasted from the manual! Thats by the book!

I use Kerosene as well...did the manual actually spell it as "kerosine?"

The bike dealer told my riding buddy to use WD40 and because they are the resident experts, he wants to go with what they tell him...

I use Kerosene as well...did the manual actually spell it as "kerosine?"

The bike dealer told my riding buddy to use WD40 and because they are the resident experts, he wants to go with what they tell him...
yes- i just copied it from the book.

edit: Quote from wikipedia- "It is sometimes spelled kerosine in scientific and industrial usage.."

I recently watched a good video about WD40 and O-rings. WD 40 in fact does not damage the O-rings. (they put the rings for 48 hours in pure WD40 and nothing happened.)
But its too thin and not lubricating enough to work on a chain. Especially since they make such good chain lubes its not necessary to go with WD40 in my opinion.

yes- i just copied it from the book.

edit: Quote from wikipedia- "It is sometimes spelled kerosine in scientific and industrial usage.."

I recently watched a good video about WD40 and O-rings. WD 40 in fact does not damage the O-rings. (they put the rings for 48 hours in pure WD40 and nothing happened.)
But its too thin and not lubricating enough to work on a chain. Especially since they make such good chain lubes its not necessary to go with WD40 in my opinion.

Gotta learn something new once in a while, I think I'll stick to spelling like I learned though.

The dealership wanted him to use WD-40 as a cleaner...I'll stick to kerosene

Gotta learn something new once in a while, I think I'll stick to spelling like I learned though.

The dealership wanted him to use WD-40 as a cleaner...I'll stick to kerosene
oh sorry I thought you meant as a lubricant. Sure you can use it as a cleaner. No problem! I stick with kerosene aswell!

giphy.gif

#MyPrecious

my little experiment
38000 km stock chain kerosene clean chain wax lube every two tanks of gas.
39000 km ek replacement chain new sprockets lube and wipe off with wd40 every two tanks of gas.

the wd40 did not reduce the life of my replacement chain. it was easy to apply, clean and cheap.

"BUT IT WILL RUIN YOUR CHAIN!!!!" says everyone with no evidence except hearsay.

flame suit on... LOL

cheers
ken

Last edited:

my little experiment
39000 km ek replacement chain new sprockets lube and wipe off with wd40 every two tanks of gas.

the wd40 did not reduce the life of my replacement chain. it was easy to apply, clean and cheap.

"BUT IT WILL RUIN YOUR CHAIN!!!!" says everyone with no evidence except hearsay.

flame suit on... LOL

cheers
ken

No hearsay. I know of two examples of WD 40, a SOLVENT, used to lube a chain that caused the chains to spit out the O-rings. Both chains were clattering loudly after using a SOLVENT to lube them and dozens of O-rings were found under the front sprocket covers.

Cheers

my little experiment

flame suit on... LOL

cheers
ken
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.
did you test the rings for more than 24 hours by any chance? Would be interesting to see what damage some fluids have done over time.

Those tests (to examine possible damage to the O-rings only) were 13 years ago. The results didn’t address chain damage or the washing away of the lubricant the O-rings hold in place on a chain.

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.
did you test the rings for more than 24 hours by any chance? Would be interesting to see what damage some fluids have done over time.
other than only using wd40 for 39000 km with no damage to the chain and no reduction in mileage i did not preform a scientific test.

LOL

cheers
ken

Back