Brake clean ok for chain orings?

Welcome!

:welcome:

The manual says Kerosene only.
I wouldn't chance it.
Get a pump spray bottle from Home Depot and use the Kerosene.
It is cheaper than Brake Kleen too.

I use kerosene and a rag and an old tooth brush.

Lots of people say that Brake Cleaner is hard on the o-rings. The O-rings in the chain are made of the same stuff that the rubber seals in a braking system on an automobile are made of, brake cleaner is mixed with this in mind and it does NOT affect the seals on a braking system and will not hurt the o-rings in a chain. Carb and choke cleaner is another story. I have on occasion used brake cleaner on a chain when it is off of the bike. Brake Cleaner is EXTREMELY rough on paint jobs and plastic surfaces.

I know I will get flamed for this but read the cans of brake cleaner and it will say it is safe for the seals on you brakes.

Reactions: kml
I use kerosene and a rag and an old tooth brush.

Lots of people say that Brake Cleaner is hard on the o-rings. The O-rings in the chain are made of the same stuff that the rubber seals in a braking system on an automobile are made of, brake cleaner is mixed with this in mind and it does NOT affect the seals on a braking system and will not hurt the o-rings in a chain. Carb and choke cleaner is another story. I have on occasion used brake cleaner on a chain when it is off of the bike. Brake Cleaner is EXTREMELY rough on paint jobs and plastic surfaces.

I know I will get flamed for this but read the cans of brake cleaner and it will say it is safe for the seals on you brakes.

Flamed? You should be tared and feathered for even making such a statement! :spank:

Flamed? You should be tared and feathered for even making such a statement! :spank:

Worked as a production manager in a chemical company for quite a while. The main ingredient in brake cleaner is what they used to use to Dry Clean your clothers at the cleaners with.

I don't use it, and MOST riders want use it, But all I said is true whether a person likes it or not.

But it is all good coming from my Busa Brethren.

Although brake cleaner will not harm the o rings...it will harm the chain...it strips away too much lube and just don't use that chit on anything but your 'brake parts' !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

damn, wish i'd read this thread a couple days ago. the friggin brake clean worked sooooo well tho. instant clean. then i just hit it with the suzuki chain lube right after it dried. worked great. then again, maybe my chain will break in like, 6 miles or something. being in the automotive industry (audi tech) brake cleaner (in the spray can) is used on just about everything. no residue, doesn't eat up your parts. i guess only time will tell.

does it work as well as brake clean? it just melted the grease and junk off.

does it work as well as brake clean? it just melted the grease and junk off.

WD40 works pretty good, kerosene, diesel fuel works as good and is normally cheaper. One quart of the kerosene or diesel fuel about 1.00$ and it will last a long time.

What ever you use, clean the chain while it warm and relube it while it is warm. Use a quality chain lube and do this frequently and your chain will last for alot of fun and trouble free miles. Most riders choose their lube that doesn't sling off all over the back wheel. Remember to wipe off the excess lube and ride and try different lubes until you find one that suits you.

full?d=1492879639.jpg

Back