Brake caliper question

pward76

Donating Member
Registered
I've been lurking here for several months, since before I bought my 04 blk/prpl.  I have made several mods based on reading this forum and have learned a bunch. I am currently waiting on my new HID setup, and have my .org shirt that I wear proudly.

I am in the process of installing Galfer SS lines on the front, along with some Carbone Lorraine pads.  I decided to take my calipers apart to clean them as long as I have things torn down.  I have not removed the pistons from the caliper, and the manual calls for the 4 o-rings at the brake fluid galley joints to be replaced.  I called my dealer this morning, and it looks like the only way I can get the o-rings is to buy an entire "kit" that includes the o-rings, piston dust seals and piston seals at about $31 PER SIDE.  I looked on Ron Ayers site, and they sell the same kit (pn 59300-33881 - for 26.82).

So here is my question - Do I REALLY have to replace these o-rings?  I only have 5K miles on the bike, and they really don't look used at all.  Failing that, is there some reason that I can't wander down to my local hardware store and get similar o-rings and use those?  Are the Suzuki o-rings made of some special compound resistant to DOT 4 brake fluid?

I realize we are talking about some serious stuff here, braking and safety and continuing to breathe, and all that; not to mention the possibility of leaking DOT 4 all over my paint; but $25 to $30 a side is a tad excessive if I can get suitable replacements for a few cents each.

If I have to spend the bucks, I will; but I wanted to ask the question first.

I will be posting pics of my brake line install - routing lines, etc. as I get things put back together.

Thanks!

normally I would say yes,replace them. Just make sure you look at them very closely and make sure there is nothing wrong with them. No nicks, scratches or other damage. Also make sure that they're not stretched out from the removal process.

Just as jwcfbd said, but also be careful when removing them. Don't use anything with a sharp edge to remove the o-rings from the housing. Once you get them out, you should inspect them thouroughly as previously stated. If they're OK, then I don't see any problem with re-using them. And if I remember correctly, there should be 6 o-rings in each caliper. One on top and bottom of each pot. Just make sure that you put the correct ones back into their proper seating position. All of them are not the exact same size. Trust me, I've done this before.

Actually being a Lab Technician and all, I have access to a microscope and that's how I inspect any of my o-rings. You can find the smallest hairline cuts. If you don't have access to a microscope, then a magnifying glass works pretty good also.

Thanks for the responses guys. A couple of things - I am not talking about the seals on the pots (pistons). Those are the dust shields and the piston shields.

I'm talking about the o-rings that are located at the top and bottom of the caliper body (two rings per caliper) that seal the galley when the two halves of the caliper are brought together. These o-rings simply fall out of their seat when the caliper is disassembled.

I have not, and do not intend to remove the pistons. I only took the calipers apart to clean the brake dust off them. If I have to buy the whole kit, which includes 6 dust shields, 6 piston shields, and two o-rings per caliper, then I will replace everything.

Thanks again

Nevermind - I talked with a local shop that I trust, they said re-use 'em if they look ok. Hooked 'em up and no leaks...

WooHoo!

As long as there are no nicks or cuts and the o-rings are not hard its ok to reuse them.

Back