Braek in, first service. Pay or DIY?

Ron223

Registered
I went today to pick up some oil and a filter planning to do my first service. I can get the supplies for around $50 change the oil, adjust the chain to the spec .08-1.2" and feel comfortable in doing so. Of course their trying to sell me on the importance of them doing it which is like $300. Do you feel this is just simply trying to sell me on spending $300 with them or is their something I'm missing? I get that would document it for warranty but my warranty is only one year anyways.

Side note: I'm looking at putting in a BMC filter, any reason why I shouldn't use a race filter for street riding?

sounds like they are trying to make about $250 profit off of you to me. read your owners manual what does it say to do on your first service? air filter should be ok

DIY without a doubt.

As for the filter, a lot of people use the stock filter as it is a good filter. I use K&N simply because I wash and reuse it.

do it yourself and screw the stealership. experiment with the bike and get a good perspective of it. the air filter should be good but check it if you like. the bmc race filter is fine, will allow more stuff to get in, and that is what i use. if you don't live in dusty type conditions your good. change the oil but be VERY leery of that drain plug when tightening because it will strip over time. i did it and it sucks to replace the oil pan so use a torque wrench. other than that, visually inspect the bolts that need some tightening and your a go. when bike is on kickstand take your finger and apply pressure in the middle of the chain and you should allow about an 1.5 inch for play for proper slack. there are some great d.i.y. 's for removing the fairings the correct way without breaking tabs and such. good luck and ride the snot out of her.

Be extremely careful with the drain plug, a lot of people do it themselves but there are a few who made the critical mistake of stripping the drain. If you do it right you have nothing to fear :thumbsup:

measure and make sure it's straight.

wheel alignment tool.jpg

Have fun :thumbsup:

wheel alignment tool.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. This is kinda what I was thinking. As for the BMC, I just want to change it as an upgrade to stock but they were telling me I shouldn't run the race filter on the street. I just figured I may have to clean it a little more.

Lastly, would y'all recommend going synthetic yet? And is there any chain lube that doesn't fly off and leave you to scrub your back wheel at every wash?

Lastly, would y'all recommend going synthetic yet? And is there any chain lube that doesn't fly off and leave you to scrub your back wheel at every wash?

Wipe the wheels down with WD-40, will take that lube off like butter. I would wait for the second oil change to use full synthetic.

Sent from my Ford F-150 using Forum Runner

Did my service today.. All went well and enjoyed getting to know the bike. I just need to adjust my chain tension, anybody know what size the rear axle nut is? Also, what psi are you guys running your tires at for street riding?

Psi for me is 38 rear and 36 front. Your tool kit has the wrench for the axle nut but not sure of size.

I did my own routine service. When I asked the dealer about it when it was new--he said--go ahead--won't hurt the warranty at all!

Back