BRAC Closures

werdkat

Registered
First let me offer hopes and prayers for those contractors that will loose their jobs. As a contractor I feel your pain. Now for the military and civy's that will have to relocate or find a new job sorry to hear that!

On a happy note, robins made it through again!! Now if only my contract gets renewed!!!

Good luck to you, I'm recontracting as well!
wink.gif

I just viewed the HUGE list of closings/realignments...it just stinks that so many will be turning their lives upside down...
sad.gif

Yeah we had a bunch of civy's and military come from Kelly when it closed down. I felt so bad for them. Uprooting everything they know and coming to a strange place. But hey at least the weather is nice here ;)

I made a post some months back, I'll reiterate: If you have an SF background,I.E. S.O.F.,Force Recon,Seals, J.S.O.C.,Delta, and are looking for a job,PM me.Paul.

Unfortunately one of the risks being a contractor. You're an Expense. As an Employee, you're Capitol.

Nice to know where you stand, isn't it?

Best of luck for those families.

beerchug.gif

What exactly is "BRAC"? Is that the Base Realignment and Closures?

I got an e-mail from our base commander, but all it talked about were deadline dates, but no specifics. Is there a link to the list?

I'm a civilian employee, not on active duty any more.
cool.gif

I made a post some months back, I'll reiterate: If you have an SF background,I.E. S.O.F.,Force Recon,Seals, J.S.O.C.,Delta, and are looking for a job,PM me.Paul.
Do divers with a military background have any oppourtunities? I wasn't in SF's, but have had some training with the MCSF Cadres for Aux Security Force and Anti-Terrorism tactics.

Just curious Paul
cool.gif

Maybe a working diver to support training ops, or mission objectives? Or as a Public Safety Diver?

BRAC has caught me. The plan is to merge operations from St Louis, Indianapolis, and Alexandria, Va at Fort Knox, KY. I was hoping to get out of the snow belt. If it goes through, I will miss being 20 minutes from the track.

While I do feel bad for the individuals and communities that stand to lose from the closings, the United States Military is not a "jobs" program and should do what's best to defend this great country. If that means we consolidate our operations to more effectively use ALL of our tax dollars, than the long-term benefits of closing bases is worth it. We have far too many bases and need to shut 'em down!

Yeah, I hate to say anything in support of base closures, especially since I am not being negatively affected, and normally I would just grit my teeth and keep my mouth shut.

But he is the short of it (yeah I know, for those of you that know me that is a laugh. Short..)

Ehem, anyway. Since I am currently in D.C specifically attending a conference dealing with government and military technology and what the future holds, and since I just sat through speakers such as RADM Thomas Zelibor – Director of Global operations and U.S Strategic Command

And LTG Raymond Odierno – Assistant to the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, who just flew back from Iraq Monday night and was with Dr. Condoleezza Rice - National Security Advisor

I feel “somewhat†qualified to sort of answer the question as to why base closures. I am not speaking on anyone’s behalf (especially for the government) this is just from little ol me.

This is one of those times you CAN have your cake and eat it to.

Everyone is screaming about the budget deficit, high taxes, no one wants to pay taxes, everyone is slamming the administration for the huge budget deficit.

Ok, lets save money, lets close bases. Closing a base saves a HUGE amount of money.

But, everyone wants to be protected, they want the U.S. to protect them. So lets see, we need to close bases to save money, but strengthen our fighting abilities.

And oh yeah, on top of it. Our current enemy is taking every advantage they can to find holes in our technology since technology is what gives us the edge. If they can find and exploit our technological holes they can even-out the battlefield.

Guess what? Base realignments do what everyone wants, it is saving money AND it is making our military stronger. We are going to see changes in our future military that is unlike anything we have had in the past.

The future is Network-Centric Warfare or Net-Centric Warfare.

The future battlefield will be fought in all operational spaces - ground, air, space, cyber space. AND all of our forces will be training together AND fighting together.

They will be moving navy, Marines, Army, Air Force special forces to train together
They will learn how to communicate and fight together with each special forces have their own expertise. Basically building off of each others strengths.

There is no battle that can be won decisively by just one of our branches alone, we all need to work together as a team yet in the past there has always been rivalries between the branches AND lack of communications. In order for our future military to be stronger and to overcome weakness, we must move personnel around and optimize what we have and do a better job at sharing information and resources

Bring troops back home that are no longer needed in theater, combine base personnel onto one base, selecting the best base that can host the amount of additional personnel and selecting which group of military branches would work the best together for training, living, etc..

You will begin seeing Navy and Air Force on the same base, in some places Navy and Marines will be on the same base (as they are in most cases already). You might even see regular Army and regular Marines together, the special forces will most certainly be together. Etc.

Bottom line is, the people of the United States are getting what they are asking for, a stronger military while cutting the budget. Unfortunately money just doesn’t fall out of thin air (I never fully understood that concept, we print it.. just make more, guess that is why I never majored in economy
smile.gif
) it has to come from somewhere, and doing what the current administration is doing will make the biggest dent in the budget.

Yeah it is painful, yes people are going to lose their jobs, and that sucks and I hope I don’t lose mine some day. But in order to get the budget under control it has to come from somewhere, and to quote what was once told to me.

“If you don’t have a solution to a problem, keep your mouth shutâ€

That was actually told to me when I was in the Corps. It was a good learning experience.

Basically, if someone has a better idea and a better solution, offer it up. Make changes, if you DON’T have a better solution, let the people do what they can that HAVE a solution and hang on for the ride.

Any worthwhile questions?

Back