Boy have engines been downsized

Back to the original post, a lot of the downsizing has to do with enhanced engineering capabilities and high tech manufacturing processes. CAD design has come a long ways in the past few decades. Things like composites, 3D printing, hydro forming and high pressure die casting are making things possible they never had the capabilities to do in the not so distant past.

Sweet colors to choose from and not a bad spec sheet:
  • Yamaha V-Max. Years produced: 1985-present.
  • Claimed power: 119hp @ 9,000rpm (1985 test)
  • Top speed: 150mph.
  • Engine type: 1,198cc double-overhead cam, four valves per cylinder, water-cooled 70-degree V4.
  • Weight (dry): 271kg (596lb)
  • Price then: $5,299 (1985 model)
  • Price now: $3,500-$5,500 (1985 model)
  • MPG: 28-32.

They make an' awesome "Street Fighter" IMHO. Rubb.

The Beemer boxer is ugly IMHO. It's sort of like a bull dog, so ugly it's cute! It is something you have to get used to. When at speed the balancers keep things more or less vibration free. But stop at a light and it feels like you can feel the pistons going from side to side! Yes @Yellow09 you feel a twist when you give it throttle. I haven't tried the standing still thing but I can hold the busa still for a long time. I did the course at a Police Rodeo and they were amazed to see a Busa beating them on HD's.

The Beemer boxer is ugly IMHO. It's sort of like a bull dog, so ugly it's cute! It is something you have to get used to. When at speed the balancers keep things more or less vibration free. But stop at a light and it feels like you can feel the pistons going from side to side! Yes @Yellow09 you feel a twist when you give it throttle. I haven't tried the standing still thing but I can hold the busa still for a long time. I did the course at a Police Rodeo and they were amazed to see a Busa beating them on HD's.
There's no comparison between the two when it comes to holding still with having no feet down. If you blip the throttle on the Beemer, it will hold you upright, my brother seldom puts his feet down anymore, he just works the throttle...

The measure of a motor is more than HP. In most applications torque is the more important quality.

I'm 63 and have ridden since I was 15. If I have one thing to pass on, it's take a V4 Tuono for a ride in the twisties. The engine is amazingly torquey and peaky and not the best attribute of the bike. I'm a Busa lover from way back. If there's a better way to pass a line of cars on the freeway (save maybe for a ZX14), bring it. If there's a better bike to take through some kinda tight twisties than a '15-on Tuono, I want to ride it :)

I'm 63 and have ridden since I was 15. If I have one thing to pass on, it's take a V4 Tuono for a ride in the twisties. The engine is amazingly torquey and peaky and not the best attribute of the bike. I'm a Busa lover from way back. If there's a better way to pass a line of cars on the freeway (save maybe for a ZX14), bring it. If there's a better bike to take through some kinda tight twisties than a '15-on Tuono, I want to ride it :)

Maybe a piped RD 350\ 400?:D

Wow that Duc is beautiful. I'd love to sample their new V4 streetfighter as well as about a hundred other bikes lol.

Maybe a piped RD 350\ 400?:D
My '79 Daytona was a handful.

Bought it for $200 in '84 off a family friend and it had 1000 kms on it.

I had a ton of mods on that bike too,

Micron pipes, Boydesen reeds, bigger carbs professionally tuned with K&N pod filters, ported and blue-printed engine, Wiseco pistons, shaved heads, Barnett clutch pack, rear sets, Clubman bars, etc...

But, the frame was spaghetti, for a bike of it's vintage it was good but no comparison to a bike of today..

That being said, I sure miss it..every time I started it up, I felt like I was in the MotoGP

Back