Boy have engines been downsized

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Don’t have a link as I saw these on TV and thought it was interesting. In a race called the Circuit des Remparts in Angouleme France they showed several classes of race cars and in the prior to WW1 cars there was a 1909 2.5 liter single cylinder Peugeot racer and a 1908 10 liter four banger Brasier racer with a 2,200 rpm rev limit! Imagine the size of those pistons. Imagine driving them. Chain drive too! :laugh:

Motor configurations...fun topic CBX. Some tried and true,some,well,KRAP.
I've had the honor and dis-pleasure of owning a few. Mazda Rotory,yuk. Ford 239cu in flat head V-8,work horse of truck motors for years. Yamaha RD/RZ /RDLC 350cc the Bic lighter of motors[disposeable].127cu in S&S V-Twin [2080CC],bigger motor than my car of the time,2.2 liter Audi TT Roadster.Big Dog chopper 107 cu in. Chevy Vega.Chevrolet showed it could not make an alluminum block motor like the Japanese. Kawi in-line 2-stroke tripple.
Here's a funny one,Honda CBX in-line 6 cylinder,seen one turned into a hill climber.Could not beat our early GSXR 1100 climber. Any 2 cylinder horizontilly opposed twin. BMW etc...barf.Japanese v twins,junk. North American v twins,even worse.3 cyl. Smart Car motor.Nothing "smart" about them. Just about anything British.They had trouble with just little things,like carburation.The big ballz grunt of American muscle.Take any of them.Chevy 350,327,396,427,454,etc. Ford 289,302,460.Dodge 318,340,383,440,even the 225 slant six.V-12's,Jag and of course the Veyron.Cool stuff.

Motor configurations...fun topic CBX. Some tried and true,some,well,KRAP.
I've had the honor and dis-pleasure of owning a few. Mazda Rotory,yuk. Ford 239cu in flat head V-8,work horse of truck motors for years. Yamaha RD/RZ /RDLC 350cc the Bic lighter of motors[disposeable].127cu in S&S V-Twin [2080CC],bigger motor than my car of the time,2.2 liter Audi TT Roadster.Big Dog chopper 107 cu in. Chevy Vega.Chevrolet showed it could not make an alluminum block motor like the Japanese. Kawi in-line 2-stroke tripple.
Here's a funny one,Honda CBX in-line 6 cylinder,seen one turned into a hill climber.Could not beat our early GSXR 1100 climber. Any 2 cylinder horizontilly opposed twin. BMW etc...barf.Japanese v twins,junk. North American v twins,even worse.3 cyl. Smart Car motor.Nothing "smart" about them. Just about anything British.They had trouble with just little things,like carburation.The big ballz grunt of American muscle.Take any of them.Chevy 350,327,396,427,454,etc. Ford 289,302,460.Dodge 318,340,383,440,even the 225 slant six.V-12's,Jag and of course the Veyron.Cool stuff.

I've seen many BMWs with the opposed twin have a million miles on them-the BMW association hands out million mile pins at their rallies...I don't know of any other bike to achieve this. Went to a couple rallies with my brother and when they handed out the pins, the front rows were for the current pin holders....there were a lot of them.

I've also seen Metric V Twins go for many kms without any issues at all-they seem plenty robust to me. I knew a guy to have 250,000 kms on his Road Star with zero issues (it was an awesome bike and looked great too).

Maintenance is the key to longevity although in some engines it just doesn't matter. I know a guy who's had the same Briggs and Stratton lawn mower for 30 yrs and changed the oil twice...:rolleyes:

New(er) HDs are racking up kms like never before as well

The measure of a motor is more than HP. In most applications torque is the more important quality. But there is also the impact on handling and packaging, more so on a motorcycle than a car. The big piston V configuration provides torque. The inline 4 allows the rpm to produce hp. The V4 appears to be a great compromise (what about a V6?). The inline 4 and V4 offer good packaging for mass centralization. But there is also the impact of the gyro effects from a crankshaft. When the crank spins across the longitudinal axis of the bike, it resists leaning. That's why a boxer is so good in the BMW adventure bikes. This issue makes a 550 lb bike feel like a 600 on the road.

I've seen many BMWs with the opposed twin have a million miles on them,they are just so fugly thou bro.Plus yer feet get cooked in the summer by them cylinders,nice in the winter thou.LOL.

I've also seen Metric V Twins go for many kms without any issues at all I hear ya....I put a couple hundred K on one of the many Virago's I owned.

Maintenance is the key to longevity although in some engines it just doesn't matter. I know a guy who's had the same Briggs and Stratton lawn mower for 30 yrs and changed the oil twice...:rolleyes: B and S motors are the dope.
Rubb.

The measure of a motor is more than HP. In most applications torque is the more important quality. But there is also the impact on handling and packaging, more so on a motorcycle than a car. The big piston V configuration provides torque. The inline 4 allows the rpm to produce hp. The V4 appears to be a great compromise (what about a V6?). The inline 4 and V4 offer good packaging for mass centralization. But there is also the impact of the gyro effects from a crankshaft. When the crank spins across the longitudinal axis of the bike, it resists leaning. That's why a boxer is so good in the BMW adventure bikes. This issue makes a 550 lb bike feel like a 600 on the road.
You can sit at the stop light on your boxer and not have to put a foot down, just blip the throttle a little and the engine torque will keep you upright...my brother taught me this with his RT.

The measure of a motor is more than HP. The big piston V configuration provides torque. The inline 4 allows the rpm to produce hp. The V4 appears to be a great compromise .When the crank spins across the longitudinal axis of the bike, it resists leaning. That's why a boxer is so good in the BMW adventure bikes. This issue makes a 550 lb bike feel like a 600 on the road.
Hey Fallen was it the GSXR 125cc or 250 that had a red line of 22,500 RPM,sweet right.
In-line 4...Hayabusa,nuff said.:bowdown:
The V4....like the long lived Honda VFR platform.:thumbsup: The V-45 Magna and V-65 Sabre ahhh,not so much so. [bad cam chain drive train]
The boxer's...still too fugly bro. Rubbster.

You can sit at the stop light on your boxer and not have to put a foot down, just blip the throttle a little and the engine torque will keep you upright...my brother taught me this with his RT.
You have to be yankin' my chain..right boss? I mean I can balance just about any bike with feet on the pegs [years of trials riding] but this throttle blip deal is way cool and news to me. I shall add this to my motorcycle obscure facts section of my brain pan. Thanks Yellow,I shall win some cash betting on this little known fact.:thumbsup: Rubb.

Hey Fallen was it the GSXR 125cc or 250 that had a red line of 22,500 RPM,sweet right.
In-line 4...Hayabusa,nuff said.:bowdown:
The V4....like the long lived Honda VFR platform.:thumbsup: The V-45 Magna and V-65 Sabre ahhh,not so much so. [bad cam chain drive train]
The boxer's...still too fugly bro. Rubbster.

Those V4s sure suck to work on though, take the fairing off a VFR and trying to see an engine in there somewhere is a challenge. When the V-65 (they had a recall to fix the cams) was on its game, it was a scorcher though, and the 1000 Interceptor was pretty much on the top of the heap, even the 1100 GSXR had it's hands full chasing it.

I think folks stopped behind me find it cool how long I wait to put a foot down at red lights.Also when I'm about to leave the light I pick my feet up and get ready to hammer down long before the light turns green. With this latest Busa and its huge 330 rear tire,non-riding folks sometimes comment that it shouldn't even have a kickstand.:D

You have to be yankin' my chain..right boss? I mean I can balance just about any bike with feet on the pegs [years of trials riding] but this throttle blip deal is way cool and news to me. I shall add this to my motorcycle obscure facts section of my brain pan. Thanks Yellow,I shall win some cash betting on this little known fact.:thumbsup: Rubb.

Not like the boxers...you can sit there almost all day and blip the throttle slightly to keep it upright, the engine torques to the right. If you are sitting with your left foot down (like many do) and rev the engine, it will give you a fright as you think the bike is going to fall over to the right...

Have you tried this yet @fallenarch ?

My brother took his '78 RT in a "Hare scramble" on a whim and won...people had really big eyes when they saw this blue RT complete with hard bags climb over the trail. he stood on the pegs and basically idled it through...it helps that the guy can ride bikes...even with our short season he was putting on 20,000 miles a year...he basically lived on the thing.

Those V4s sure suck to work on though, take the fairing off a VFR and trying to see an engine in there somewhere is a challenge.
If I could add a V-4 to the stable it would be the Yamaha V-Max.Couple draw backs on them thou...huge power sitting in a frame that may as well be made of spagetti. You can feel it flex and twist. Still has a huge cool factor.Kinda like Motown Muscle...wicked fast and powerfull,just don't try and steer/corner them too much.

If I could add a V-4 to the stable it would be the Yamaha V-Max.Couple draw backs on them thou...huge power sitting in a frame that may as well be made of spagetti. You can feel it flex and twist. Still has a huge cool factor.Kinda like Motown Muscle...wicked fast and powerfull,just don't try and steer/corner them too much.
I agree, an '85 unrestricted model would be cool....

In about half an' hour.:thumbsup:Just gotta coffee and shower up,and I'm Busa Blastin':race: Still gettin' paid by NASA for doing their wind tunnel testing in "Real World Envioroments".
...yer not @fallenarch …......you won't get the same torqueing effect on your bike at a stop light as he will on the Beemer...

Back