Bought Yesterday 2001 Hayabusa...needed To Join The Forum!

2001BlueBusa

Registered
I bought a used 2001 Hayabusa that just hit 19.000 miles. The bike has a full Yoshi RS3 exhaust (wish it was a little louder) with a power commander, handle bar risers, air box mod, braided lines, custom seats, custom LED turn signals, hot bodies under tail lights, new battery, newish rear tire, and I think that is about it. Happy to join the forum and learn new things about this bike. Only thing I want to do really at this point is buy a tank bag, frame sliders, and thinking of replacing the sprocket and chain if now is a good time to do so...the guy said the chain will last through this season. Maybe go ahead and have fuel pump and CCT replaced as well with this many miles?

The bike looks very clean and rides true as far as I know. It feels a little wiggly in the turns. Also, the person I bought the bike from said the chain needs to be replaced in the not so distant future, or to tighten the chain up a link. Another thing I notice is a little slack on throttle response. There is a point where it seems to be slightly slack in response then hits the go fast part where it just wants to kill you...Is this normal? I have read that the throttle response isn't that great on some. I will also, as much as I can, put non ethanol fuel.

I would love for other members to give any constructive criticism of what should be done or not done or what is good on the bike in general...First Busa! Damn do I have respect for this bike...Thanks all!
IMG_3542.JPG

:welcome: And congratulations on the new bike. Look for wear and/or tight spots in the chain. If you have either then yeah replace it. If you need to remove a link to get it properly adjusted then replace it.

As far as your throttle response goes that could be as simple of a fix as lubing your cables.

Thanks! I will most likely replace the chain. Any thoughts on a good chain brand to use? Also, is it a common problem for the speedometer to be off? Man...those decals are expensive to replace...

I hope this bike has a lot of life left in her for 19K miles...

Use the search function there are tons of threads on chains.

It is common for the speedometer to be off 7-8 percent pick yourself up a speedohealer.

At 19000 miles your bike is not even broke in yet.

That many miles on a 15 year old bike I would be sure to check it over really well. Change every fluid and inspect all rubber lines. Doesn't sound like it has been ridden much and sitting can take its toll on a machine.

First of all, nice lookin bike. With only 19K miles on it, it's just getting broke in good. :-)
Your front tire looks like it has cupping on it and if you are getting the wigglies on the curves, check the air pressure in
your tires, they're probably low or the tires are just plain worn out.
Get youself a good quality O or X-ring drive chain, you're going to crank out at least 130 bucks for one. Take a good hard look
at the sprockets, it's not too bad of a job replacing them. With a flashlight, you can sneak a peek thru the guts and get
a rough idea how bad the front sprocket looks.
Just take the projects one at a time and you'll eventually get everything under control.
Good luck, welcome to the org.
BB

Thanks guys, I am good with the search function and will use it to not waste anyone's time! I am recalling the guy I bought it from told me he aired down the tires for some reason...can't remember why. I will do my best to get a gauge on the sprocket myself, but will take it in at some point to give it a once over from a certified mechanic as the bike is new to me. I am hesitant to change the full exhaust setup as I have heard they are very spendy and the bike is tuned to that exhaust. It is a really clean bike with no signs of oil anywhere. I live in Oregon by the way if anyone cared lol. Thanks!

Don't get me wrong about the search. It wasn't that I didn't want you to waist my time it's just everyone has their favorite. The main thing to keep in mind with chains is tinsel strength. Do yourself a favor any time you change chains change sprockets as well. Same with changing sprockets change your chain . As one will wear out the other.

As far as checking everything and changing fluids all your information is here. There is a great deal of satisfaction in doing your own wrenching.

You can also find a how to here somewhere on cutting down your muffler. It's not hard, gives your bike it's own look and will make it louder. Plus all it costs is a couple of rivets and some new packing.

All good advice above. First thing like suggested, make sure your tires are in good shape. How long have they been on the bike. Also check the chain and sprockets, at 19k miles you may need a new crush drive. You could be feeling slack in the chain/crush drive which is why the throttle seems to lag slightly. I would recommend replacing all fluids and also checking the brake pads. She is a clean looking looking bike, welcome to the board.

That is a great looking scoot! In addition to the above, I would check the wheel bearings for play and you should get the forks serviced. Also, at 19K, check your idle and it might be worth a TB sync. I like the look without the decals - very clean and that is still the best looking Falcon Head scheme in my opinion, but I may be a little (a lot) biased!!!

Thanks all! Thank you for the advise as well. Looking forward to riding her more. I was told to put only non ethanol fuel in her, that makes sense, but does anyone else do this or just premium E10?

I bought my first Busa last August, it didn't have any decals on it but I like the look so bought a set off of ebay from a guy in Bulgaria for about $50.00 for the full set plus a couple of extras for the helmet or whatever they seem to be the same size and colour as stock. Really impressed with the quality

20150922_135815.jpg

Thanks all! Thank you for the advise as well. Looking forward to riding her more. I was told to put only non ethanol fuel in her, that makes sense, but does anyone else do this or just premium E10?
:welcome:Aboard. Looks like the guys gave you enough advice to keep you busy for some time. Lol. As far as fuel goes, I think most of us just make sure we use premium since ethanol free gas is not available everywhere. I personally have never put non-ethanol fuel on mine up until 3 days ago. they started offering it at a gas station nearby. Haven't felt any difference though.

Back