Border guards sentence commuted

I heard a little about this on the news. I did not realize they lied, tried to cover up the shooting and hide\destroy evidence. I am not cool with that, but I think 10 years was a little harsh so I am not upset about the sentence being commuted.

I agree. If they were lying to cover things up, they were on the wrong side of the law. Still, what they did aside from that was probably the right thing.

--Wag--

The POS they plugged in the azz WAS a drug smuggler. At the trial, OUR Government used him as a witness AGAINST the border Patrol agents... and the Gov.t believed him over the agents... although the agents DID lie and tried to cover it up.

But, the prosecutor knew that that POS was caught again for a second time smuggling drugs across our border.

I for one fully support those Border Control dudes.

Bless President Bush for doing the right thing. Perhaps a pardon would not have been appropriate because of the coverup.

It'll be interesting to see what our new Pres does about the border.

On a side note, California is broke..... but they are providing illegal aliens with 117 million dollars of free tuition support at our colleges. Dumb azz liberals (includes Arnold) who pretends to be a Repub.

The POS they plugged in the azz WAS a drug smuggler. At the trial, OUR Government used him as a witness AGAINST the border Patrol agents... and the Gov.t believed him over the agents... although the agents DID lie and tried to cover it up.

But, the prosecutor knew that that POS was caught again for a second time smuggling drugs across our border.

Bless President Bush for doing the right thing. Perhaps a pardon would not have been appropriate because of the coverup.

On a side note, California is broke..... but they are providing illegal aliens with 117 million dollars of free tuition support at our colleges. Dumb azz liberals (includes Arnold) who pretends to be a Repub.
yep, guys doing their job and got stabbed squarely in the back for it..funny what the press published as facts...

yep, guys doing their job and got stabbed squarely in the back for it..funny what the press published as facts...

Anyone have a link to the actual facts.

This is what I heard on the news.

Stopped a guy smuggling pot.
Shot the unarmed guy as he was fleeing in the back
BP Agents lied to supervisors, tried to cover up the shooting, removed\tampered with evidence.

Now I agree this guy was a POS drug smuggler but still shooting an unarmed guy in the back as he is fleeing is not within the scope of their jobs then to try to cover it up. Not sure that is either.

That said 2 years is probably fair.

Please correct me if the fact I recall are incorrect, my opinion is based on that and if I mis-understood the incident then my opinion may also be wrong.

Bush is in the pocket of the Mexican government. Reason a full pardon was not given months ago.

Anyone have a link to the actual facts.

This is what I heard on the news.

Stopped a guy smuggling pot.
Shot the unarmed guy as he was fleeing in the back
BP Agents lied to supervisors, tried to cover up the shooting, removed\tampered with evidence.

Now I agree this guy was a POS drug smuggler but still shooting an unarmed guy in the back as he is fleeing is not within the scope of their jobs then to try to cover it up. Not sure that is either.

That said 2 years is probably fair.

Please correct me if the fact I recall are incorrect, my opinion is based on that and if I mis-understood the incident then my opinion may also be wrong.
Most people have no idea what those guys are up against... it is usually dark and smugglers very often have sniper support from across the border..

Perfect combination for trouble regardless.. got a guy with a side arm, shot gun and MAYBE an assault rifle up against a guy with a 50cal.. Our guys spend more time running for cover than most..

they (illegals) come across, get zeroed in on and then the sniper from the Mexican side takes on the BP... you going to sneak into our country with your poison, then you should expect to die trying.. Not sure any B.Patrol guys frequent here or not but I am an AZ native and most old time residents can tell you some pretty ugly stories.. sure the "President" is in the back pocket of a third world country... :rofl: a "nice" home in Mx has a corruagated tin roof...

Most people have no idea what those guys are up against... it is usually dark and smugglers very often have sniper support from across the border..

Perfect combination for trouble regardless.. got a guy with a side arm, shot gun and MAYBE an assault rifle up against a guy with a 50cal.. Our guys spend more time running for cover than most..

they (illegals) come across, get zeroed in on and then the sniper from the Mexican side takes on the BP... you going to sneak into our country with your poison, then you should expect to die trying.. Not sure any B.Patrol guys frequent here or not but I am an AZ native and most old time residents can tell you some pretty ugly stories.. sure the "President" is in the back pocket of a third world country... :rofl: a "nice" home in Mx has a corruagated tin roof...

See if that is the case why the cover up? I think that is worse than the incident itself and probably why they were tossed in jail.

See if that is the case why the cover up? I think that is worse than the incident itself and probably why they were tossed in jail.
there is no telling what really transpired... most are in small border towns etc and by the time the feds come in or other authorities, it is already a mess.

I know a few of these guys and for the most part after the big corruption crack down some years ago, most are pretty good guys and working hard..

The case of Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila and Agents Ramos and Compean of the U.S. Border Patrol | Salon News

Not quite Boy Scouts these two:

Prosecutors in Sutton's office considered the conduct of Ramos and Compean outrageous enough that the two men were charged with seven and nine counts, respectively. Both were charged with assault with intent to commit murder. At trial, government prosecutors presented a case, supported by eyewitness testimony, that alleged the following: On Feb. 17, 2005, Aldrete-Davila led Border Patrol agents on a high-speed car chase that ended at a ditch about 120 yards from Mexico. Aldrete-Davila abandoned a van with 743 pounds of marijuana inside and made a dash for the border. Compean, on foot, intercepted Aldrete-Davila, who put his hands in the air to surrender.

At that point, according to trial testimony, Compean tried to hit Aldrete-Davila with the butt of his shotgun, missed, and fell into the 11-foot-deep ditch. Aldrete-Davila took off running. Compean climbed out of the ditch, shot at him 14 times and missed. Ramos, who had watched Compean fall, then fired once. The bullet entered Aldrete-Davila's left buttock, severed his urethra and came to rest in his right thigh. He fell down, but got back up, escaping across the Rio Grande into Mexico. The two agents then covered up the incident. Compean hid some of the shell casings and asked a third agent returning to the scene later that day to dispose of the rest. Neither Ramos nor Compean ever reported the shooting. They were arrested a month later, and then only because America's border with Mexico is like a very long and skinny small town. Aldrete-Davila's mother is friends with the mother-in-law of Rene Sanchez, a Border Patrol agent in Arizona. After hearing about the incident from his mother-in-law, Sanchez sent a report to the Department of Homeland Security in Washington, which then dispatched a special agent to Texas to investigate.

At trial in the federal courthouse in El Paso, Border Patrol agents from the Fabens station took the stand to testify against Ramos and Compean. Fellow agents, including one who had observed the shooting, contradicted Compean's story about where he was and how he was positioned when he fired his weapon. The agent who had helped Compean hide shell casings admitted it under oath. Prosecutors showed that Compean had repeatedly changed his story about the shooting and that it didn't match Ramos' account. They were also able to show that although Compean had discussed the shooting with other agents after it happened, it wasn't until his arrest that he began claiming that Aldrete-Davila had had a gun.

I recommend the whole article it is pretty interesting stuff....

Last edited:
Yea!!! I was so happy to hear this yesterday.. I would have much rather he pardoned them but this is at least getting them out of the pokey..

The Associated Press: Bush commutes sentences for 2 Border guards

They were only doing their duty as they saw it!
Pleased their senteces where commuted.

In South Africa crime has escalated because the police are not doing their job.

Therefor you need to protect your police or such otherwise you will go the same way!

At the end of the day they are only human and will make mistakes!

Pine

Frankly America should adopt a policy that shoots to kill any person crossing the border!
Imagine being under sniper fire while trying to do your job.
Its ridiculous!

Pine???

I'm sure Bush had access to everything involved and I trust he did the right thing.

Doesn't compare in any way to what the last Gov of IL did upon leaving office. He commuted every prisoner on death row to life in prison

hmmmm...methinks the cops shoulda had better aim:poke:

then there wouldnt have to be another giant waste of AMERICAN taxpayers' $$ on some sillyazz court case for some jerk-wad dealer...no, check that-SMUGGLER *cuz they're even worse than dealers...cant deal s**t if nobody brings it to you* and the cops lied about shooting him?? SO WHAT-if cops lie to put drug dealers and smugglers away, its just Karma's way of coming back around n kickin those clowns square in the cajones where they deserve it:rulez:

but like i sed originally...if those dudes had better aim:whistle:.......

Back