Boost by smith or woolich

Djmurria

Registered
Hey finally got a hayabusa to my own needs a little tlc but just Curious for when I get it running right. For a gen 1 hayabusa which is better. I know ecueditor hasn't had any updates in a while but can woolich racing do more on a gen 1 vs ecueditor?
Also planning on using a daytona nc-1 or nc-2 to datalog is there something else you would recommend for nitrous control and datalogging?

You can't change Woolich unless you buy the software. The ECU Editor box is a lot cheaper.

I chose the NC-2 for some datalogging and nitrous control. It was told to me that a progressive controller was unnecessary but not knowing much about it, I wanted one anyway. Sorry I can't tell you about using the NC-2. It accidentally got thrown in the trash before I ever got a chance to install it. I'll probaby buy another one.

You can't change Woolich unless you buy the software. The ECU Editor box is a lot cheaper.

I chose the NC-2 for some datalogging and nitrous control. It was told to me that a progressive controller was unnecessary but not knowing much about it, I wanted one anyway. Sorry I can't tell you about using the NC-2. It accidentally got thrown in the trash before I ever got a chance to install it. I'll probaby buy another one.
Ok thanks. I know you can't tune really tune for progressive on the gen 1 with stock ecu but figured since the cheapest I can get it for the is the same price as a nc-1 and other. Could probably use it to tune down nitrous and work my way up while figuring out afrs

The only way I know how to tune is to collect data with Dyno Jet Autotune and apply sugested fuel adjustments to a PC5 map. You could tune for nitrous without a horendous amount of manual adjustments if you will only be using nitrous at WOT between say 6000 and 11,000 rpm. Still, it would be an awful lot of runs before you ever got it right guessing how much fuel to add. I'm not sure how you were planning to use the controller to work your way up but I was told the way to tune nitrous is to start with a small jet and get all the 100% throttle cells you need to tune for nitrous correct before moving up to a larger jet and then go through the process again and probably at least one more time if you're going with the maximum shot of nitrous on a (I will assume) stock engine. I believe a 60 shot is as big a dose as is prudent on a stock motor. Sounds like a lot of trial and error if that's what you were planning to do while relying only on guesswork and manual adjustments. You might be able to use the Daytona to collect data from an O2 sensor but I do not know how many samples/second the Daytona controller is capable of recording nor how many seconds of data it will hold. Probably enough but I know the PC5 and Autotune would work and you let the electronics do the guesswork and the apply the changes to the fuel table. They are a lot quicker than you or me although even they require a few runs to get it perfect.

I believe @Dennis was using an extermely fast and effective setup for AFR tuning. I don't recall what it was called or how much it costs. If it's anywhere near being in the DJ ballpark as far as cost goes, I'd try it. The DJ stuff works if you use it properly (and properly isn't the way DJ tells you to do it) and it is affordable.

Find out if a progressive controller is really necessary. I thought they were primarily used for ramping up/down the nitrous as rpm increases. When I got my NC-2, I wasn't sure I would need it but it was a cool toy and it was capable of collecting at least a couple channels of data. The DJ system is capable of collecting A LOT of data including AFR if you have Autotune.

My experience is Gen2, some thoughts would be applicable to Gen1. Woolich offers integrated datalogging with autotune similar to Bazzaz or Dynojet but lets you do adustments in the ECU not an external piggyback. It also lets you adjust other ECU parameters. It does not directly control nitrous so I still use ECU Editor for that function.

Boost by Smith/ECU Editor does control nitrous in Gen2 (not sure what is supported for Gen1) but doesn't have the logging and autotune features. It really isn't that hard to add a 40 hp nitrous system if Gen1 supports ECU nitrous control. Add 16% fuel for 40 hp and adjust from there using data from a separate wideband logger. It's easy to integrate a progressive controller to Gen2 and would be on a Gen1 if it has a solenoid output feature with nitrous control, I just don't know what ECU Editor offers for Gen1. I use and like the NC2.

The only way I know how to tune is to collect data with Dyno Jet Autotune and apply sugested fuel adjustments to a PC5 map. You could tune for nitrous without a horendous amount of manual adjustments if you will only be using nitrous at WOT between say 6000 and 11,000 rpm. Still, it would be an awful lot of runs before you ever got it right guessing how much fuel to add. I'm not sure how you were planning to use the controller to work your way up but I was told the way to tune nitrous is to start with a small jet and get all the 100% throttle cells you need to tune for nitrous correct before moving up to a larger jet and then go through the process again and probably at least one more time if you're going with the maximum shot of nitrous on a (I will assume) stock engine. I believe a 60 shot is as big a dose as is prudent on a stock motor. Sounds like a lot of trial and error if that's what you were planning to do while relying only on guesswork and manual adjustments. You might be able to use the Daytona to collect data from an O2 sensor but I do not know how many samples/second the Daytona controller is capable of recording nor how many seconds of data it will hold. Probably enough but I know the PC5 and Autotune would work and you let the electronics do the guesswork and the apply the changes to the fuel table. They are a lot quicker than you or me although even they require a few runs to get it perfect.

I believe @Dennis was using an extermely fast and effective setup for AFR tuning. I don't recall what it was called or how much it costs. If it's anywhere near being in the DJ ballpark as far as cost goes, I'd try it. The DJ stuff works if you use it properly (and properly isn't the way DJ tells you to do it) and it is affordable.

Find out if a progressive controller is really necessary. I thought they were primarily used for ramping up/down the nitrous as rpm increases. When I got my NC-2, I wasn't sure I would need it but it was a cool toy and it was capable of collecting at least a couple channels of data. The DJ system is capable of collecting A LOT of data including AFR if you have Autotune.
Daytona can only sample at 10hz. Looked into the Zetronix zt-2 it can datalog at 70hz so may be going with that instead. Trying to stay away from power commander since the ecu can do everything. The plan to tune for with the progressive was put in say a 100 shot, throw in some fuel and take some timing out and only run it at 40% then turn it up as I made sure the afrs stayed close to where I wanted, it's not needed mainly wanted nc-2 to datalog but figured I could use it to help out with nitrous tuning too.

My experience is Gen2, some thoughts would be applicable to Gen1. Woolich offers integrated datalogging with autotune similar to Bazzaz or Dynojet but lets you do adustments in the ECU not an external piggyback. It also lets you adjust other ECU parameters. It does not directly control nitrous so I still use ECU Editor for that function.

Boost by Smith/ECU Editor does control nitrous in Gen2 (not sure what is supported for Gen1) but doesn't have the logging and autotune features. It really isn't that hard to add a 40 hp nitrous system if Gen1 supports ECU nitrous control. Add 16% fuel for 40 hp and adjust from there using data from a separate wideband logger. It's easy to integrate a progressive controller to Gen2 and would be on a Gen1 if it has a solenoid output feature with nitrous control, I just don't know what ECU Editor offers for Gen1. I use and like the NC2.
On gen 1 the woolich data logger isn't available so that's why I'm leaning towards either the nc-2 or zt-2. Gen 1 ecueditor has nitrous control but its pretty much just a on-off in a specified rpm range when tps is >85%, have to pull timing and add fuel to the ms0 or ms1 maps, vs on gen 2 just throwing in the percentage of fuel to add and timing to pull from nitrous settings. Won't be playing with nitrous until next year most likely so really just need a good datalogger.

On gen 1 the woolich data logger isn't available so that's why I'm leaning towards either the nc-2 or zt-2. Gen 1 ecueditor has nitrous control but its pretty much just a on-off in a specified rpm range when tps is >85%, have to pull timing and add fuel to the ms0 or ms1 maps, vs on gen 2 just throwing in the percentage of fuel to add and timing to pull from nitrous settings. Won't be playing with nitrous until next year most likely so really just need a good datalogger.
I didn't realize Woolich didn't even offer a log box. You will need a wideband controller any way you look at it. Personally I would get a controller with logging but you wouldn't have to if you have another device like the NC-2 that logs. I like the NC-2 for progressing the nitrous. It works well. You can trigger it with the ECU nitrous output. I use MS0 for nitrous and MS1 for motor even on my Gen2. If you have fuel trim maps in Gen1 you can tune by gear for the nitrous progression. I don't get worked up about having perfect AFR as I'm progressing as long as it is rich so I'm not constantly tuning the start of the spray routine. Or you can skip all this and buy a Maxx Sport that does everything and more and is much easier to use and produces more accurate results, has built in safeties, etc.

I didn't realize Woolich didn't even offer a log box. You will need a wideband controller any way you look at it. Personally I would get a controller with logging but you wouldn't have to if you have another device like the NC-2 that logs. I like the NC-2 for progressing the nitrous. It works well. You can trigger it with the ECU nitrous output. I use MS0 for nitrous and MS1 for motor even on my Gen2. If you have fuel trim maps in Gen1 you can tune by gear for the nitrous progression. I don't get worked up about having perfect AFR as I'm progressing as long as it is rich so I'm not constantly tuning the start of the spray routine. Or you can skip all this and buy a Maxx Sport that does everything and more and is much easier to use and produces more accurate results, has built in safeties, etc.
For the gen 1 no log box I believe, i see they offer a log box for Denso ecu but only shows for m109 not hayabusa. Leaning towards the Zetronix zt-2 for the built in wideband, and it can Record at 70hz vs the 10hz of the nc-2, kind of a rip off you have to buy a separate box to record but it is what it is. Do you use the Daytona wideband with the nc-2 or are you able to use any

For the gen 1 no log box I believe, i see they offer a log box for Denso ecu but only shows for m109 not hayabusa. Leaning towards the Zetronix zt-2 for the built in wideband, and it can Record at 70hz vs the 10hz of the nc-2, kind of a rip off you have to buy a separate box to record but it is what it is. Do you use the Daytona wideband with the nc-2 or are you able to use any
I use the ZT-3 connected to the Woolich box for logging. I don't log anything on the NC-2, I just use it for nitrous progression. Ultimately I have the ECU, Woolich box, ZT-3, NC-2, and Boost by Smith auto shift on the bike to make it do everything. Since my Woolich is a logger it cost more than the flash box for your Gen1. Total retail on this stuff adds up to over $1100, but more when I bought it. This makes a standalone seem like a pretty good deal. A Maxx ECU Sport Premium with wideband and harness is $1400 and it replaces all 5 boxes and has sooooo much more. I have the Maxx Race on my other bike.

I use the ZT-3 connected to the Woolich box for logging. I don't log anything on the NC-2, I just use it for nitrous progression. Ultimately I have the ECU, Woolich box, ZT-3, NC-2, and Boost by Smith auto shift on the bike to make it do everything. Since my Woolich is a logger it cost more than the flash box for your Gen1. Total retail on this stuff adds up to over $1100, but more when I bought it. This makes a standalone seem like a pretty good deal. A Maxx ECU Sport Premium with wideband and harness is $1400 and it replaces all 5 boxes and has sooooo much more. I have the Maxx Race on my other bike.
The Maxx ecu out my tax bracket lol. Just a stock motor right now trying to have the ability to tune myself while I get the bike figured out. Going to go with the woolich for access to the base tunes and the zt-2 to datalog.

Back