Bolt thread repair thing.

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I overheard a few guys, I think it was Gixerhp maybe, talkin about a new way to fix holes that have had their threads striped. It wasnt a heli-coil, it was something that was suppose to be better. I can't recall what it was called tho, HELP!

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Its called a key-sert.Much better but takes more area to install.A good heli-coil installed right will be fine but a key-sert is easier to get out because you drill the little locking pins and then it just unthreads out.

Valve cover on a buddies car, he mentioned it was stripped and I couldn't recall the new thing to fix it. Idk if it'll even work, just thought it was worth a mention. Thanks guys.

Smellphone via Forum Runner

All the rocket parts we used to develop at my old job used Keenserts, another full insert with key ways like the Timeserts, but if you use Keenserts, you can claim to have genuine qualified rocket parts on your bike.

Personally, I'd go ahead and use helicoils. Less work, easy to get, and should work just fine for anything you need.

A valve cover bolt hole wont have a lot of meat around really to use a keen-sert.Maybe a heli-coil will work, not sure.Can always tap to the next size bolt as well.Pretty quick and easy that way

All the rocket parts we used to develop at my old job used Keenserts, another full insert with key ways like the Timeserts, but if you use Keenserts, you can claim to have genuine qualified rocket parts on your bike.

Personally, I'd go ahead and use helicoils. Less work, easy to get, and should work just fine for anything you need.

Goin to strip some bolts on the bike right now, just to have rocket parts on board!

I wasn't actually familiar with Timeserts, so looked it up. It does NOT lock with keyways the way Keenserts do. Keenserts uses little pins driven down the sides that basically destroy the internal oversized threads of the parts and provide four locking keys (see first pic). Keenserts® Keylocking Thread Inserts Given the high vibrations in rockets, I can understand why they were selected for that application and I just carried them forward for the designs I worked on.

Timeserts appear to work differrently. Like Keenserts (and helicoils), you start with an oversized thread. Then you machine an extra relief at the top of the hole (sort of like a countersink, but square). The bottom of the Timesert has one part of the internal thread that is not cut to full depth, so that when you insert the installation tool fully, the bottom swells as the installation tool is locked down. This is the circled part of the second pic. TIME-SERT Threaded inserts This installation is more involved than a common helicoil and I'll bet the kits are more expensive. The Timesertslooks like a better solution that is less likely to accidentally back out than a helicoil, but probably less robust than a Keensert.

I'll stick with the recommendation of a helicoil for a valve cover bolt. There's also a Permatex epoxy that some people use for lightweight applications like this.

Thanks for your indulgence.

keen3.jpg

Timesert.gif

Without seeing what you have to work with, I can't say if this is the best advice but here goes.

If you want the cheapest fix, it would be to drill out the existing whole and re-tap it one size up.
You would have to check if the next larger size bolt's head would still fit and be able to get a wrench on it
when on the valve cover.

If you use a keenserts like in the above image you will notice that it uses fine threads for the insert to screw into.
Therefore if you haven't used them before you will have to buy a special tap along with the keensert. More $$

I hope everyone's advice helps you make a decision. Let us know how it comes out.

Back