bolt testing video

The original is, keep your stick on the ice. A basic rule of hockey. if you didn't already know. LOL.

Well, I was gonna spend a whole lotta cash on Titanium bolts for the Busa, may just stay with steel and invest the money on an anti-gravity device instead. :rolleyes:
Good info, thanks for sharing that :beerchug:

So Ken are you going stir crazy waiting for the gen 3? Watching bolt videos? Ha ha ha ha ha

Actually pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing I was wondering about strength and was thinking Ti was super strong.

Thanks for posting the interesting clip KML . Certainly 12.9 steel best for strength , then 8.8 steel , no question . So titanium 6al-4v is recommended to replace 8.8 steel at best . The aluminum fastener is always to maximize weight saving first , always non load where strength isn't a factor , so limiting there use . Titanium , with thread protection paste is a reliable fastener , my ti axles are torqued at stock ft lb , this is a comfortable maximum in my view . All my ti fasteners on the L2 are torqued to stock recommendation , including complete front end and rear suspension and linkages , chassis subframe and frame and fairing mounts and full bodywork and guards . The engine uses aluminum fasteners for covers and cooling system mounts , with only the long 10mm & 12mm engine mounts waiting on ti replacement . Got them down for later in year replacement . If you can keep away from bolt obsession .... your will be a richer man for sure . Pic of some of my ti spares , slotted for next additional Busa .
IMG_20180405_215415.jpg

Buy Pro bolt race hex ti fasteners for pre-drilled convenience , also the lightest ti fastener in their range . With my streetbike L2 , no real need to lock wire but I do mark the fastener for any change . Of course the lock wire is not only excellent insurance , a race bike must for track safety , but is very trick visually . Every fastener torqued correctly is also best insurance . Some of my older hex ti fasteners from early days were gun drilled for extra obsessive weight reduction !! I've had ti sickness for many years , but anyone serious about thorough bike weight reduction will be at least contemplating these aerospace technology super fastener ...
For example of ultimate weight reduction , and in this particular application , combined with ultimate HP , I wait with great anticipation for Mike Parris Heuberger creation to be unveiled !! :thumbsup:

this whole lightweight fastners thing is like a a prizefighter CLIPPING HIS TOENAILS and shaving his backhair to lose a few ounces on the scale.....

My guess is rolling with 300 hp you would probably benefit more from the strength than the weight loss anyway.

My guess is rolling with 300 hp you would probably benefit more from the strength than the weight loss anyway.
300?.. Michael is expecting 600 plus with just the turbo.......... and a 100 shot of gogo juice..... imagine the shake down involved there.... I keep egging him on to get motor built and turbo sorted... so we can go out and ride these damn things.... do a little shakedown on the street....

Well, I was gonna spend a whole lotta cash on Titanium bolts for the Busa, may just stay with steel and invest the money on an anti-gravity device instead. :rolleyes:

Well let's see...1400.00 for ti bolts to save a half pound OR take a leak before I ride and save 3/4 pound for free?
I'm still going for the lithium battery ;<)

Also that ti chain he scored is awesome !!
Oh, that was him also?? Yes that's another enviable piece! ...if I have the money someday...

u guys wanna be BALLERS? step it up.... custom lightweight triple clamps, carbon fiber bars with aluminum clip-on mounts....
That, I might be able to get in on. If I have this bike another ten years, maybe I will be able to do everything I want with it.

Well let's see...1400.00 for ti bolts to save a half pound OR take a leak before I ride and save 3/4 pound for free?
I'm still going for the lithium battery ;<)

That's a cheap weightloss. -8~9 lbs for a couple hundred bucks. LOL I couldn't feel the dif but I know it's there. After the first big weight reduction, it seems like everything else is a very incremental change.

for the best last minute weight savings.. the night before the race take 8 shots of milk of magnesia and 10 water pills and drink nothing but vodka and redbull all day previous day to ensure metabolism is smoking..... its called the canelo alvarez weight cutting regimen... u would be shocked at how some people make weights.... they are near death stepping on that scale.. gaining 17 lbs in under 24 hours....

u guys wanna be BALLERS? step it up.... custom lightweight triple clamps, carbon fiber bars with aluminum clip-on mounts....
Already done that bro , even the stockish set up I ran had carbon bars , drilled ti bolts holding that plate to stock triple , plus every fastener on entire front end ti or aluminum . The latest set up , top triple and clip ons weighs just over 1kg total , complete with full ti fasteners . Ohlins saved close to 4kg compared to stock , not including ti mounted ohlins damper , and again full ti fasteners and ti axle . With lithium battery , swapover to Shorai , saved over 2 kg compared to stocker . :rolleyes:
DSCF1473.JPG

Last edited:
Back