Bolt question

shade

Registered
On my ducati I'm changing out the clutch cover.
I stepped on one of the clutch cover bolts and it broke. Its magnesium
The engine case is also magnesium
I believe I can get a stainless bolt and use that right? Stainless into magnesium should be fine?

You are right. Stainless into magnesium is fine. Just take care not to over tighten. The stainless is much harder then the magnesium.

87 inch pounds is normal on most m 6 x 1.0 bolts

Yeah it calls for 10nm.
Any help on sizing?
The ducati parts doesn't show
Its a 2019 v4 part number 77941992A
I have an Ace hardware down the street that has stainless i just don't know what size of thread pitch the bolt is. I do have the broken bolt so worst case I case use their thread finder thing

Anti seize won't damage any specific types of metal?
This is from the CRC webpage info sheet . .

"Anti-Seize is a general purpose, high temperature anti-seize lubricant for protecting metal parts against rust, corrosion, galling and seizure at temperatures to 1800° F. It is silver in color and contains copper, aluminum and graphite. Because of fine grade fillers, Silver Grade is particularly suitable for fine threaded and other closely mated parts. It is not recommended for applications where copper is prohibited."

here's more info . .

"Since copper has one of the highest galvanic numbers (or nobility) of the active metals, it will not be harmed by contact with any of them. It will, however, cause corrosion of the other metals if in direct contact. ... It is not necessary to isolate copper from lead, tin or stainless steel under most circumstances."
"It is not necessary to isolate copper from lead, tin or stainless steel under most circumstances. The principal metals of concern in terms of direct contact are aluminum and zinc. Iron and steel are generally not a problem unless their mass is similar or smaller than that of the copper."

As far as I know, copper and steel are compatible.

Back