Bogging issue keeps returning

Joshmc628

Registered
2016 Hayabusa, 28k miles, everything stock except a voodoo sidewinder and extended swing arm. Still using stock ecu and all.

The bike started bogging down whenever I went full throttle but during regular riding was running ok. Then after a few weeks of that, it started bogging down at all rpm ranges and even started idling funny. Took an old fuel pump assembly that a buddy of mine had laying around from a 2008 busa and changed out the fuel filter and clean the assembly the best I could. After that it ran great for another couple of weeks before the issue came back full force. This time I ordered a cheap pump replacement for my 2016 pump assembly and put that back in my bike but it did not help anything. After that I took the entire pump assembly from his running bike and installed it on mines. Then I took the injectors out and cleaned them. After that the bike ran great. I then put my 2016 assembly back in the fuel tank and it was still running great which made me think I just had dirty injectors, but after a day of riding the issue came right back. Now I have his good pump assembly back in my bike and it’s still bogging out badly. Now I’m confused? Could my gen 2 pump assembly be dirtying up my injectors? I’m aware of the Gen 1s having an issue with a fuel filter that can’t be changed in the assembly but I thought they fixed that issue with the Gen 2s? At a loss here any help is a appreciated!

Last edited:
Simple fix could be u have a bunch of crap in the tank dirtying up everything so as u swap back n forth it’s good for a little bit until it clogs.
The tank looks clean on the inside and rust free but there could be trash in there that I’m just not seeing. Either that or a bad batch of gas/water in the tank. I’m going to dump all the fuel tomorrow and try a fresh tank.

Hey Josh, that sounds frustrating. :/

I have a dumb question, did the new fuel pump assembly come with a new fuel filter? Also did you remove all of the lines and clean them out? Let us know what you find out.

It does seem like injectors are sensitive to getting dirty. I’m going to put an extra fuel filter on my bike when I upgrade the fuel system.

Areoquip startlite hose and earls hose ends. The bracket is from aeromotive. You cut the end of the hose and attach the hose end by screwing it inside the retainer thingy, it's really simple. I am a firm believer in the areoquip hose, I had a fuel pressure regulator stick on my car and logged over 300psi before the fuel pressure sensor exploded. The lines were not damaged at all.

20220928_140225.jpg

20220928_140152.jpg

20220928_140120.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but there’s two filters, a quarter size disk at the bottom and then a small can size filter that’s part of the pump. I replaced my whole pump on the ‘08 and it fixed the problem, there’s a thread on here that tells you how to bypass the can size filter, but I would replace the pump and make sure my tank was completely clean. I know they use white vinegar to accomplish that.

Back