Boeing 747 LCF

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Kind of an interesting article with pictures if your into aircraft of any kind... Just before my departure to S. Carolina I was temp assigned to this bird! Massive is an understatement, I was inspired by the very presence of this bird. So here is a link to the local paper with a story and pic's... Hope you enjoy it as much as I did (though, it can't be the same without seeing in person..)

LOCAL PAPER STORY..
PICTURES OF THE BIRD IN OUR HANGER...

that's one big bird.
beerchug.gif

KC, explain to me how mod-ing a 747 to carry ONE part of an airplane, is more economical than just building that part at the designated assembly plant in the first place
rock.gif

(DaCol. @ Apr. 05 2007,15:41) KC, explain to me how mod-ing a 747 to carry ONE part of an airplane, is more economical than just building that part at the designated assembly plant in the first place
rock.gif
Maybe labor cost, they're flying it from Taiwan.

or

maybe its just politcal....

I can answer that. I work for Spirit, used to be Boeing Wichita. The tooling is already here in Wichita and complete. We have already started production of the 787 and are currently working to produce more "pieces" , if you will. The tooling, planning, engineering, assembly, machining, ect (the list goes on forever!!) is VERY expensive and cost prohibitive to just up and move. I also believe it was in the buy out contract that Spirit would build said pieces for a reduced rate for "x" amount of years. I'm sure there is more to this story, but that is the simple answer form a poor dumb mechanics perspective.

How is that tail section hinged?
SHOCKED.gif

That's pretty awesome to be able to split it like that, but the weight on those hinges, I would have to wanna believe, has got to be massive~ Not to meantion staying inline with all those lock in devices~ That's some tight arse engineering right there...
muscle.gif

(GJoker @ Apr. 05 2007,19:21) How is that tail section hinged?
SHOCKED.gif

That's pretty awesome to be able to split it like that, but the weight on those hinges, I would have to wanna believe, has got to be massive~ Not to meantion staying inline with all those lock in devices~ That's some tight arse engineering right there...  
muscle.gif
Our tolerances on aircraft are in thousandths of an inch. A good mechanic is the most aggresive about quality. Besides, one day, I or my family might be on one of the birds I build. It kind of gives you incentive to build it right. I have to agree that the "DreamLifter" is a very impressive bird. Thanks for the pics Bug, I haven't seen them yet!!

"The plane will be used to transport the 787 Dreamliner fuselage from Wichita to Puget Sound, Washington for final assembly. "

Puget sound? They are transporting stuff to a large body of water? I wonder why they didn't just say somewhere around the pacfic ocean. I believe they are assembling the 787s at the Everett, WA plant, just down the road from me. Home of the worlds biggest building
smile.gif

Lots of good info... Yes, they did sub the work out over sea's! Sore point with this American but that is the story at lots of places. Next, Yes the hinges are monsterous... You can't believe they will hold up, but they do. Takes a special machine to swing the tail open. Keep in mind its much taller than the standard 747 and longer. IF you ever get to see one I highly recommend it. They will be flying in and out of Wichita, Seattle, and Charleston S.C. to name a few places you might catch a glimspe of one.

Back