Bodywork blew off last Saturday. Need recomendations on replacements.

Draco1340

Registered
Last Saturday I felt something slow down for a second as I went through the traps at 175. Then the left side cover, right side cover, and center oil cooler damn ripped off the bike. I guess after snapping the panels off and on a million times, the plastic rivets and snaps didn't hold that tight anymore. The side covers are multi-piece snap design, and they all just blew apart. Better it happen on the dragstrip at low speed and not at Loring.

Anyway...... any personal recommendations on replacement panels. Airtech makes a nice 1 piece upper fairing for turbos and bikes running sidewinders, but its designed for a Gen I and requires a bunch of fabrication to make it fit up to the ram air tubes. Catalyst makes replacement left and right sides, but they don't look set up for lowered dragbikes running sidewinders.

Any suggestions out there?

I sell the catalyst stuff to most. they make 3/4 uppers and lowers and also individual pieces... best stuff ever used.. what yr busa and is it turbo or have a sidewinder?

08 Busa with sidewinder. I didn't see any photos of the 3/4 uppers. Thats what I am looking for. Do you have any photos and any details on mounting and how the black plastic dash panels fit or mount on the uppers?

I plan on racing naked through the winter and then doing up a real sick Hello Kitty paint job. Hello Kitty all pink and pretty on the left side. Bad nasty kitty with a bottle of Jack and ripped stockings and pasties on the right side.

Don't race naked in the winter, your little friends down below might not like it :rofl:

Let me see if I can find some pics

Here you go you can see pics of lower also..

F45043453.jpg

The above is what i purchased, but have yet to install. It is a good idea to get the ram air tubes, since the plastic ones will look hideous with the fiberglass uppers.

Also, don't bother with the gauge surrounds or inner fairing pieces they sell. They leave a little to be desired as far as fit goes.

GoldenChild. Can you PM me a price. Thats the one I am looking for. Too bad they stopped making carbon pieces.

i will get price cause shipping to boston for oversize I don't want to under quote.. what's zipcode and business or home address ? you want upper and lower?

GoldenChild. Can you PM me a price. Thats the one I am looking for. Too bad they stopped making carbon pieces.

Gen IIs have been coming off at high speeds. I've seen guys taping the seem between the upper and lower panel. Looks like Daniel has what you need.

Last Saturday I felt something slow down for a second as I went through the traps at 175. Then the left side cover, right side cover, and center oil cooler damn ripped off the bike. I guess after snapping the panels off and on a million times, the plastic rivets and snaps didn't hold that tight anymore. The side covers are multi-piece snap design, and they all just blew apart. Better it happen on the dragstrip at low speed and not at Loring.

Anyway...... any personal recommendations on replacement panels. Airtech makes a nice 1 piece upper fairing for turbos and bikes running sidewinders, but its designed for a Gen I and requires a bunch of fabrication to make it fit up to the ram air tubes. Catalyst makes replacement left and right sides, but they don't look set up for lowered dragbikes running sidewinders.

Any suggestions out there?
Is yours a Gen 2 ??? If you are, you are not the first with this problem.. Haven't seen a Gen 1 breaking apart after launch or during re entry into the atmosphere :whistle: :laugh:

My Busa is a GenII. How common a problem is this? I was pretty surprised that it blew off at a relativity low speed of 175. The bike has gone 217 at Loring with no problems, but the snap features do get worn a bit after removing the bodywork a hundred times. The left side got caught up under the rear tire in the shut down area and actually slid the bike a bit before it completely ripped off, so this type of failure can definitely take you down on the wrong day.

Jay didn't tell you that mine blew off a little over a month ago? I was trying to decide what to do and was looking at catalyst stuff. I like the fit and finish of stock body work, keeping it looking like a street bike and like the stock 09 black paint job.
I have a brocks ti winder and a dme pro street wedge oil pan. I cut a couple inches off the bottom of the body work for ground clearance. I have raced it from the begining of the year NA that way. Decided to run the nitrous. firt pass on the nitrous (172mph) and just after the finish line both sides and the v piece blew off. So I got all new oem side fairings. I put a piece of heavy duty stainless steel plumbers tape and used a couple for screws to hold the very front/bottom of the side fairings together. I am also going to put one screw through the sides where they join the upper towards the front of the bike. Hopefully a screw holding the sides to the upper and bracket with a screw through it holding the bottom of the lowers together will keep the body work on.

Back