body work/paint/painting help

MoeMar

Registered
I'm going to give painting a shot. I used to work in a body shop & car dealers but never painted.

Questions I have:

whats better for filling. body filler or plastic/rubber epoxy

Should all the plastics be sanded down past the finish.

What paints & primers are best for plastic fairings.

any links/tips/info is welcome... thanks

What condition are your fairings in ??? If you decide to remove the graphics and they are under laquer you are heading for a lot of work, I prefer to key the panel and use a decent 2 pack (thats what its called in the UK) primer to get the panel level, then your guide coat and away you go, I always use a good quality filler. You need to then decide if you want the graphics under the laquer again or not, if they are under and the bike falls over then its a whole panel job whereas if they are on to you can sometimes remove and repair locally and re-apply.

For fillment, I would use a product call Flex-fill. Its a filler that is flexible and wont crack, easy to work with as well. Dont forget to put a flex agent in the paint as well, you dont want to have her looking all shiney and then crack the paint the first time you remove a body panel. Sand the finish down to where the new paint will adhere, you dont have to go to plastic, but rough enough to take the new paint. Start with a courser grit if you have a lot to do and then finish up with something finer. Any imperfections you see in the primer will only be magnified by the paint.
Are you doing a single stage or plan to paint then clear coat? I suggest you go to an automotive paint supply and tell them what you are painting and follow their advice. They will have all of the products you will need. Dont forget, you will need different tips for your gun, one for primer, one for paint, and another for the clear. I used to have a very nice setup but I cant find it to tell you what sizes the tips are. Take your time so you dont have any runs. It sucks beans to have to wet sand out runs to make it smooth again.

Get enough paint to make sure you can re spray a panel of needed so the color match is perfect (some shops can remix perfect. Some can't) if you go with any metallic or pearl spray it on top of the base in an inner coat clear. And give yourself plenty of clear to wet sand with. Also if your doing this at home make sure you clean your garage better than "I think this is good". (learned that the hard way). Also not a bad idea to wet the floor if you can so your not blowing any dust up.

First of all what colors. If you are going to use a solid color you do not even need primer. If you are going to use a transperent then use a good solid base. Still no primer. I will tell you later how to do it. I am painting a gen 2 now.

Chuck

Get enough paint to make sure you can re spray a panel of needed so the color match is perfect (some shops can remix perfect. Some can't) if you go with any metallic or pearl spray it on top of the base in an inner coat clear. And give yourself plenty of clear to wet sand with. Also if your doing this at home make sure you clean your garage better than "I think this is good". (learned that the hard way). Also not a bad idea to wet the floor if you can so your not blowing any dust up.

Good tips ^. Without a pro booth yer chances for perfection are slim,I have done it,but I'm lucky,not good.:laugh:
One drag of that hose across a dusty floor...yuk. There are a thousand tips the first time painter could use,we could be here for a week.
Cleanliness is everything. A spot away from the project to mix the paint(get out of the fumes). Ventilate as best you can. Keep an even room temp(whatever the manufaturer suggests). Hang the parts with weights on the bottom,or hold them(in a non-painted area),light plastic parts will move and spin when the gun pressure hits them.Set yer PSI at the gun(with trigger pulled),not at the compressor,PSI is lost in the hose etc,plus you dont want to walk back and forth. Hopefully yer compressor is large enough to paint with,you need to check if it can handle painting,its called CMF. Move yer body,not yer hand for big parts. Use a motion like yer standing at a sliding glass door and yer body is motionless while just yer arm moves for smaller parts. "Fanning" the object to be painted wastes product and builds to high in the center,to thin on the outsides.Take yer hand and pretend yer spraying something (bug spray,room freshener) at yer monitor.See how yer hand is close in the middle of yer swipe,farther away at the ends.Thats bad. Use a large enough enviroment so you wont be bumping into parts when you turn/back-up,its easy to get dis-oriented after you've been in "the fog" for awhile. Dont pull/release the guns trigger over a part. Start the spray before it hits the part,continue to hold until after you have passed the part.(no dribbles,sputtering gun,no surprises,no thick/thin spots). I like to paint the edges first and hit them twice as much as the rest of the peice. (If you wet sand,the edges will be the first place to get "sanded thru".) Lots of light in yer booth is needed,even light. A 60 watt light bulb in yer basement aint gonna cut it for this operation.
Bored to fuggin' tears yet....:laugh: I'll stop now. It ain't rocket science,but its no walk in the park either. Painting is fun. Sitting back and admiring the job I did is a huge reward for me.

I love the mechanical side to bike mods,but its like giant Lego to me,you have to put the peices together,most folks can do a decent job of it.

Where as painting...thats artistry. A wicked paintjob gets noticed bigtime. Those parts you custom built will get noticed too,put a cool ass paintjob hits you in the face.

Good luck,

RSD.

I just got an idea..... I have a vent/fan in my bathroom and the bathroom can be cleaned better then my garage. I'm thinking line the shower with plastic and spray in there. I can open window and set fans to blow it out.

do you think this is way too much for that? even If i did 1 body part a day?

I just got an idea..... I have a vent/fan in my bathroom and the bathroom can be cleaned better then my garage. I'm thinking line the shower with plastic and spray in there. I can open window and set fans to blow it out.

do you think this is way too much for that? even If i did 1 body part a day?

Bad Idea. To small of an enviroment and a bathroom fan isn't exactly what you might call industial strenght. :laugh:Plus,you'll be cleaning for weeks,airbourne paint goes everywhere.

RSD.

Back