body fasteners

johnnyo

Registered
Hi all, first time Busa owner ('06 blue/silver)
What tool do you use to remove the small body fasteners on this bike( you know, the ones that
look like rivets)

Regards, John

For the ones under the nose I use a small screw driver to press the center in then pry under the edge a bit so I cant get my fingers on it. Same for the ones on the inner dash by the frame, pry the opening gently to pop out he center the around the outside a bit till I can grab it.

just push the center pin in with a pen or watever, then pull the outter part off.Then push the center pin back up and it will poke out some then it can be reinstalled.

There are two types of these...

A) The type with a small concentric circle in the center of the fastener.

For this type you can use most any small object, such as a small phillips head screwdriver or small hex key. Just push the center straight in. Once the center section is depressed, the fastener can be easily removed.

To reinstall, push the center section in the opposite direction back through the fastener until it is protruding from the top side. Replace the fastener in the bodywork and use your finger to push the center section in until it is flush with the outer rim of the fastener. The center piece should snap back into place.

B) The type with a larger circular head with two small horizontal slots which are located on opposing sides of the head.

For this type, just insert a flat blade screwdriver in on of the small horizontal slots and gently twist the screwdriver until the head of the fastener pops out.

To reinstall, leave the head of the fastener in the unfastened position, place the fastener back into the bodywork, gently push the head of the fastener into the center portion until it snaps into place and is nearly flush with the surface.

If you have to force either of these to reinstall them, that means that the fastener is not inserted all the way into both pieces of bodywork or the holes in the bodywork are not exactly aligned. Both types should easily snap into place using only finger strength.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Regards, John

If you have not yet done so, take a look at Blanca's video tutorial (for a Gen II but gives you an idea on how the rivets look/work):
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...-hayabusa-fairing-tutorial-videos-w-pics.html

Pics below borrowed from Blanca's thread.

PRY type rivet

179835d1268019749-gen2-hayabusa-fairing-tutorial-videos-w-pics-fairing-tutorial-001.jpg

PUSH type

179838d1268019793-gen2-hayabusa-fairing-tutorial-videos-w-pics-fairing-tutorial-005.jpg

Back