Blue LED lights...

Hayabusa=Mistress

Registered
For the bottom two bolts on my license plate, I have them lighted up with blue led's (purchased as is). Apparently, it's hella visable and bright.

According to my research, blue lights are straight up illegal when in use on the road. When I got pulled over by a police officer the other day, I proved this (different vehicle). I didn't get a ticket, but towards the end, he asked me if I had any questions for him.

I thought it was the perfect time to ask the "law," so I asked him about the deal with blue lights. He told me it's definitley illegal and advised me to change them to amber or red.

I don't want to purchase brand new leds, so I was wondering if anybody got tips about how to change the ones I got so that it emits a different color? Paint over the bulbs themselves, for example, with a red paint? However, wouldn't the relatively low heat emmited from the bulbs provide enough heat to burn the paint off?

I love the current set-up, but I don't want to be a "one-time" (police) magnet.

Iv done color over clear white....with a blue marker. IT gave me greenish blue ligh color. At that time it match my jeep dash glow perfect. Adding any color to another color will get you a complet diff color all together....orange and yellow make red ( or what ever, cant remeber how it goes):beerchug: THose led tag bolts are less than $30 I think....just get white for those.
As for blue..I have and as long as they are NOT seen from the front or glowing directly outward...its OK here in Maryland

From what I was told by an officer (Maryland), depending where the lights are placed, red and blue are not allowed because it simulates a officers vehicle. As far as the tag light the color of the lamp probablly makes it harder to read the tag, and that's what creates the problems for some. I've been pulled over plenty of times in my car for fix or repair orders issued by the man, the sad thing is everything on my vehivle is DOT approved and the officers pulling me over don't know .... about cars or bikes. Its a shame that our officers have nothing better to do than to pull people over for minor infractions in attempts of coming across something bigger (imo).

From what I was told by an officer (Maryland), depending where the lights are placed, red and blue are not allowed because it simulates a officers vehicle. As far as the tag light the color of the lamp probablly makes it harder to read the tag, and that's what creates the problems for some. I've been pulled over plenty of times in my car for fix or repair orders issued by the man, the sad thing is everything on my vehivle is DOT approved and the officers pulling me over don't know .... about cars or bikes. Its a shame that our officers have nothing better to do than to pull people over for minor infractions in attempts of coming across something bigger (imo).

The blue must glow inward on the bike and can NOT be seen from the front. Hence why I do not have any LED in the intake openings. I also keep the "axuilary lighting for motorcyle" law with the bikes registration car for Maryland, incase I get one of those unknowledged officers.:laugh: Fighting the battle before the ticket can sometimes be much easier than after the ticket.

Back