Blue Bertha At The Track

Dennis

Registered
I have two 08 Busas (got the second one late last summer) and took Blue Bertha to the track today. She's a bit heavy, but a sturdy gal. I was happy with the times considering it is a budget bike intended for some slower classes. I tested my 6.50 1/8 mile map before switching to the full power map. I think I got 7 passes all afternoon in total, so really only 4 hits at full power. That would be passes number 15 through 19 that I have put on this bike total last year and this year. I have thousands on the other bike so I have some experience.

I'm bike 123

cc4419f1-c5c1-4f2e-90b8-04d184d678ad_zpsrqlfrusz.jpg

IMG_20150817_200358067_zpsk01oqdtu.jpg

Great numbers. Wish I had that kind of consistency on a bike. Guess having thousands of passes under your belt makes a difference. :D

What gearing are you running? Are you foot shifting?
Just trying to get some ideas about how much gear to add

I'm 17/45 and use an airshifter. The shifter doesn't really make the bike much faster, but it does make shifting with the front wheel up much easier for me. My gearing allows the bike to go through the quarter in 5th gear and is a reasonable compromise in ease of launching without being too wheelie prone.

Around 5k on the tach but what really matters is what you do after that. Ideally the rpms stay consistent and the throttle opens and clutch comes out quickly. I'm out of practice on this setup so that's why my 60's aren't very good. I should be low 1.40's and a good rider would be mid 1.30's.

Around 5k on the tach but what really matters is what you do after that. Ideally the rpms stay consistent and the throttle opens and clutch comes out quickly. I'm out of practice on this setup so that's why my 60's aren't very good. I should be low 1.40's and a good rider would be mid 1.30's.
The people I see at our local track that are in the 1.30s have sliders. The best I have been able to get is a 1.50. You are doing better than me :)

Last edited:
Hey this is Brad, were just getting started at the track, running a 17/43 combo will it help are 60" if we go to a 17/44?

Gen II clutch?
Yep, stock Gen-2 clutch with an MPS ring and three spring spacers.
The people I see at our local track that are in the 1.30s have sliders. The best I have been able to get is a 1.50. You are doing better than me :)
I've been 1.400 on my other 08 Busa when it was this length with a Brocks's clutch mod. To be fair I probably had my race seat and for sure I had a 3/4" GenMar bar riser with the forks slid up, but even so I should be able to hit 1.45 with this setup. I have another seat and can buy some bar spacers so maybe I'll do that. Also, I'm out of practice with the "stock" clutch as my other bike has a hand slider.

I don't know. There is a group of us that would come if they got rid of the stupid 6" over rule. A V-rod stock is the same length as my Busa that is too long to be legal and we know which one needs the wheelbase to prevent wheelies. I've raced some bikes over there with no muffler and no shock so it's not like the rules are for street only bikes. My illegal bike is more streetable than some of what passes the rules. I could run the blue bike but I'd be going by myself.

Eddyville has a great bike program and there is a foot-brake class with the cars we can run so that is where I'll do most of my competition. Cedar Falls has a few events that will be good for bikes and I'll make lots of test passes there. I think we are going to St. Louis for the NHDRO race, and if they do the 4th of July weekend bike race at Humboldt that will be an excellent event.

Back