Blown Fuse!

bpjones

Registered
Help,
My 15A Ignition fuse blew installing my HIDS and the Signalminder self canceling turns/running light mod....should I go up to a 20A?

Also...for those of you that did the running light option with the Signalminder unit did you or should you change the turn signal bulbs to the less heat producing LEDs?

NO! You have a direct short! Trace your hot wire to ground. Something simple like that. More like, whatever you do to blow the fuse, find that wire out of that switch at both ends. Say, one wire to the switch throw is ground. Then that is not it if ground completes a circuit. Get it?

Now say you take the battery (+) lead and arc it to ground is what is going on. So, you have a direct switch to ground, not a resistance, i.e., the LED to burn that heat [is the glow] and not burn up the wire harness is how you find the short is follow the smoke. Bad move if you up the fuse. It is like laying cable from the battery to ground. The bigger the wire, [higher fuse rate] the more it takes to cook. So, WATT does electricity do but to take the shortest path and that is where the smoke starts is [the source of the short]. ???

don't use a the 20amp fuse, the 15amp fuse is there to protect the wire. Putting a 20 may cause the wire to fry. The fuse is probably blowing because the hid's plus the starter are drawing max amp during startup. Look into a timer delay relay, to allow a few secs for the hids to come on after startup. By the way what brand of hids r they?

its never a good idea to up the fuse. if you need more juice somewhere run new fused circuit from battery.

don't use a the 20amp fuse, the 15amp fuse is there to protect the wire. Putting a 20 may cause the wire to fry. The fuse is probably blowing because the hid's plus the starter are drawing max amp during startup. Look into a timer delay relay, to allow a few secs for the hids to come on after startup. By the way what brand of hids r they?

I say nay , sorry.
Reason being there is not one person here that says only with HIDs are they poppin fuses.
Bp there are at least ten folks who hav gone same route as you in the last few months me being one.
None have popped a fuse .
Only one or two had small probs with clock or gauges .
Again no fuse probs.

Look elsewhere for your probs .
can you eliminate other mod you refer to regarding turn sigs, replace fuse and see what happens ?
Chances are all will be fine so again I say look elsewhere .

However my Advice comes at a price cuz the last time you listened to me you wound up with the wrong bulbs... :rofl:

Thanks Guys,

I think the problem is from using the self canceling "metal springs" provided for the Signalminder...it warned it might blow (turn signal I would of thought) fuse from return springs shorting out in the deep metal well of the turn signal unit....they provided foam rods as an option....I'll take out the springs and replace the fuse and see what happens.

I say nay , sorry.
Reason being there is not one person here that says only with HIDs are they poppin fuses.
Bp there are at least ten folks who hav gone same route as you in the last few months me being one.
None have popped a fuse .
Only one or two had small probs with clock or gauges .
Again no fuse probs.

Look elsewhere for your probs .
can you eliminate other mod you refer to regarding turn sigs, replace fuse and see what happens ?
Chances are all will be fine so again I say look elsewhere .

However my Advice comes at a price cuz the last time you listened to me you wound up with the wrong bulbs... :rofl:
actually the bixenon setup i sold to mcmustang was popping fuses on his bike. didn't pop em on my bike tho. i haven't been able to confirm the amperage of my fuses, i've been busy.

OK...got the running lights back up and running....it must of been the metal springs shorting out in the turn signal unit.

Thanks for the info guys....I was about ready to give up, but you guys would reply and get me thinking and off I'd go troubleshooting again.

Back