Blown Fork seal

Big O

Physicist Genii
Donating Member
Registered
I was cleaning the bike and I noticed what looked like grease around the base of the right fork. I don't do wheelies, so I was mystified as to how I blew a seal.
The zip tie is for measuring how far down the forks compress after I made an adjustment.

Fork_seal.JPG

Hitting them corners I'd guess...How many miles on these?

Big O,

I hope that you find out what caused it so we all can learn, but everytime I hear something about a blown seal this joke pops into my head.  Hopefully it will lift your spirts alittle.  I know it doesn't help ya but here it goes:

A penguin was driving across the country when his car broke down. After pushing the car several miles in the heat of the day he came to a small 1 horse town with a garage.

The mechanic said it will take about hour or so to find out what is wrong, so the penguin went for a walk around.

He bought an ice cream, and looked at some old deserted buildings for a while and then went back to the mechanic.

"You have just blown a seal", said the mechanic.. The penguin quickly wiped his face and said "NO, it is just ice cream!   :bounce:

Tony

Lots o times a blown seal is a dried bug sliding past the wiper and cutting the seal, but the Busa is very well protected from that sorta stuff. Check your forks and make sure they haven't been scratched by anything, that may cut a seal as well.
Good luck!

big o take the thinnest feeler gauge you can find and slide it up and around seal !i betcha it stops the leak.freegin bugs and grime .

Thanks for the replies guys.

The seals had 35k miles on them.
No scratches on the forks.
I had both sides replaced.
Well...I HAVE been railing it pretty hard for the last couple of months, including two track days.

That will do it. The Busa is a great bike, but it has minimal suspension adjustments so blown fork seals are inevitable.

Big O,

I hope that you find out what caused it so we all can learn, but everytime I hear something about a blown seal this joke pops into my head.  Hopefully it will lift your spirts alittle.  I know it doesn't help ya but here it goes:

A penguin was driving across the country when his car broke down. After pushing the car several miles in the heat of the day he came to a small 1 horse town with a garage.

The mechanic said it will take about hour or so to find out what is wrong, so the penguin went for a walk around.

He bought an ice cream, and looked at some old deserted buildings for a while and then went back to the mechanic.

"You have just blown a seal", said the mechanic.. The penguin quickly wiped his face and said "NO, it is just ice cream!   :bounce:

Tony
funny stuff... heres the video version: monkeyJoke

No stoppies for me!
And don't worry about asking any questions.

Back