Blown Engine

Dr.Jekyll

Registered
Still not quite sure what happened. Was on one of our local NOOB rides, helping the NOOBies get their sea legs. Taking it easy entire day, pouring rain and all. Riders departed, and some of the Vets got a chance to do some railing. I was accellerating, rolling past 9 grand in 3rd (I think) when throttle response goes away. I simply stopped accellerating eventhough I was rolling the throttle on. Next, the engine quits, but since I am still rolling at a pretty good clip, so the engine is off, but still compressing...sounded like a little diesel engine. I look in my sideview mirror and see nothing but smoke. I knew I had a few riders catching up quickly, so the smoke and potential oil on the asphalt was going to be an issue. Other riders saw the somke and checked up, so no issues. Got pulled over, hit the starter for investigative issues. Sounds like a thrown rod. Engine sounds like a box of rocks when turning over. Orgainized a rescue mission and now I have the Mighty Busa in the back of te truck waiting to go back to the dealership. I have a 4 year extended warranty, so hopefully no issues with getting a new engine.
Has anyone had any issues like this? Any tips or pointers, things to say or not to say to the dealership? How long should an engine replacement take?

KS just had to rebuild his engine from a similar situation .... scary. Glad you made it safe through it all and let us know what the dealer says. I have the 4yr warranty as well and definately curious how it goes.

Had you done any mods or things to this bike before it blew? Makes me wonder about riding the shid out of my bike. How many miles are on it?

If you have any mods done that could have affected the motor - REMOVE THEM BEFORE THE BIKE GOES TO THE DEALER!! This way they don't try to blame it on something you installed on the bike! There are many weasel dealers that would do this! Good luck.

If you have any mods done that could have affected the motor - REMOVE THEM BEFORE THE BIKE GOES TO THE DEALER!! This way they don't try to blame it on something you installed on the bike! There are many weasel dealers that would do this! Good luck.
+1

Took almost ten weeks to get everything put back together and running! They don't normally do these kind of projects in the middle of summer. Their words not mine! Funny, I thought money was money. Sorry to hear about your bike!

Still not quite sure what happened.  Was on one of our local NOOB rides, helping the NOOBies get their sea legs.  Taking it easy entire day, pouring rain and all.  Riders departed, and some of the Vets got a chance to do some railing.  I was accellerating, rolling past 9 grand in 3rd (I think) when throttle response goes away.  I simply stopped accellerating eventhough I was rolling the throttle on.  Next, the engine quits, but since I am still rolling at a pretty good clip, so the engine is off, but still compressing...sounded like a little diesel engine.  I look in my sideview mirror and see nothing but smoke.  I knew I had a few riders catching up quickly, so the smoke and potential oil on the asphalt was going to be an issue.  Other riders saw the somke and checked up, so no issues.  Got pulled over, hit the starter for investigative issues.  Sounds like a thrown rod.  Engine sounds like a box of rocks when turning over.  Orgainized a rescue mission and now I have the Mighty Busa in the back of te truck waiting to go back to the dealership.  I have a 4 year extended warranty, so hopefully no issues with getting a new engine.
Has anyone had any issues like this?  Any tips or pointers, things to say or not to say to the dealership?  How long should an engine replacement take?
Is it the cam chain gave way ?

It's an '04, no engine mods. Only thing mechanical is a pair of D&D slip-on's. I have logged about 14k miles since March of last year. IT has a UFO undertail, lowered 2", clear turn signal lenses, D&D slip-ons, throttlemeister cruise control, I think that is it.

The exact same thing happened to my buddy scott on his zx12r. Dropped it off at the honda/kawi shop and they ended up replacing his motor all under warranty(01 12, and this happened end of 04). So there is hope!

Back