Blown Coil Pack?

greg3852

Registered
While on the highway today on a slightly spirited ride on my 2004 with 16k miles, suddenly a pop, then loss of power, and what can only be described as either a knocking piston or something drastically wrong.

I was able to make it to my house although severely down on power. Once home I find the coil pack on the left side of the engine is moving. It is blown up but not out whenever you crank it over.

Is this common? Is it repairable? How bad are we talking here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe a broken spark plug? When you say moving, what exactly do you mean? Is the coil moving up with the compression in that cylinder?

Yes. If i push it down, the first compression on that cylinder it blows it right up about 3-4 inches.

If it were a broken plug would it release compression? I'd tend to think the threads in the head, or on the plug would have to be stripped for that to occur. Let us know what ya find.

Well it the spark plug is not broken, it could have been loose and worked it's way out, Or the worst is the hole is stripped, and will need a Timesert to repair it!

There's a real chance that metal debris has made its way into the cylinder if threads are stripped. I'd visually inspect the plug threads and go from there. Hopefully it just backed out.

Well it just backed out, but the end of the electrode is gone. Should I pull the head and see where it is?

Did you do the last plug change? it probably was not in properly in the first place. Can you screw in a new plug and will it snug up like normal or do you think the threads are toast? If the plug was bouncing around but still firing it might have fried the electrode. It might have passed right through the engine. Can you get a camera and look into the cylinder before you take the head off?

To be honest here the damage is done at this point. A Camera will confirm if there any metal in the cylinder, but it has either embedded it's self into the cylinder head, or been spit the exhaust.
I would inspect it,
Then test it. Compression and leak down test,
If good,
Install a new plug, then ride it! ,,, All depend's on the visual from a camera

Well put in a new one and she fired right up. Ran perfect. Nothing wrong. Got lucky.

I did not install those plugs. Whoever did was not very good at it. I also had issues with a fork seal. So whoever did the work on this bike wasn't very good.

Looks like I hit the lottery.

Good for you. You might want to give her a good going over now that you know some bad mechanics were wrenching on her.

Back