blow offs

dolilind

Registered
Just looking at some turbos, i know the exhaust blow off gets rid off extra exhaust pressure build ups but what is the purpose of the intake blow off? or do i have it all backwards

Don't have a turbo, but I would guess to control an overpressure condition at the intake
SHOCKED.gif

The only thing that's attached to the exhaust side is the waste gate which controls the amount of exhaust gas that's allowed to go through the turbo, in turn controlling the amount of boost being made. The blow off is attached to the intake side to relieve pressure that can cause the turbo to stall when closing the throttle suddenly, allowing the turbo to continue to spin at high speed.

Ah so installing a blowoff in the intake will let the turbo keep spooled up? So no drop off in turbo pressure when lets say shifting?

(dolilind @ Aug. 30 2007,07:59) Ah so installing a blowoff in the intake will let the turbo keep spooled up? So no drop off in turbo pressure when lets say shifting?
yeah sort of.... also keeps you from destroying your throttle body blades from the larger boosting bikes when you chop the gas.

I see stage 1 and 2 turbo setups dont have this intake blow off, is it needed?? Or should be installed?? or just not enuff boost to worry bout it.

A BOV will help the turbo spool up faster and when you are shifting at higher rpm's under boost it allows boost to bleed off. In some cases a BOV can be used to control an over boost situation as well. Many uses...just pick your method. Tial, Greedy make some nice one's.

Back