Blow-off Valve advice

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
I would like to add a blow-off valve to my turbo. It used to be a Hahn kit (all that is left is the turbo and plenum). Any hints on which one to get and where to install? Of course, I would prefer a LOUD one for poser value.

Thanks

Easy to install runs great never had any problem. Loud but louder if you mount away from under the tank. Mine is under the tank on the plenum as you can see.

TurboXS
post-21-09209-blowme.jpg

Turbonetics Godzilla and Raptor series is great. The Godzilla is a little big for the application but the Raptor should fit nicely. I'd mount it directly to the rear side of the plenum or far along on the up pipe right before the plenum.

Thanks guys.

NE: Is that the stock Hahn plenum? Where did you get the valve? How much $$$? AND, can you hear it blow??? Oh yeah, did you notice any performance gains (faster spooling)?

Thanks!!!

hks makes an AWESOME piece.. i have one in my talon... also it is a dual diaphram system , so that under small amounts of boost it stays closed to improve throttle response , and is wiked sounding at higher levels of boost... ive tried about 7 different bov's and found the HKS to be the best....

Joe

Now wait just one minizzle, NE, did you have a second "port" added to the plenum for this? Looks like you haveta... Hmmmm, that would take some work...

Interesting!

hks makes an AWESOME piece.. i have one in my talon... also it is a dual diaphram system , so that under small amounts of boost it stays closed to improve throttle response , and is wiked sounding at higher levels of boost... ive tried about 7 different bov's and found the HKS to be the best....

Joe
Which one, and will it fit into the Busa?

Thanks

I agree with hks if you want a loud one. I had a greddy on mine. IF you can get a flat flange, the BOV can be bolted to the plenum(side facing forward). Mine was bolted on and worked fine.

Between HKS and Greddy, I have always been a bigger fan of the Greddy sound. The HKS looks way better but I don't know how many people that you are going to show this to anyway.

Blow off valve H-RFL

Just connects to the Plenum and then vac line.  Blow off  improves performance if you look at being able to get back up to speed quicker.  Neer had any problems with mine at all.  Under the tank under a helmet still can hear the BOV.

Yes I have a stock Plenum polished.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081691570 -->

Great info guys! I am currently running 15 lbs of boost, and it surges quite a bit when I am on-off. I am thinking the blow-off may help that, but most importantly, I am hoping the BOV keeps the turbo healthy...

How heavy of these valves? They really look heavy, i'm not concerned about the weight, just curious.

Yep welds on. I have mine on the north side of the Plemum when you are looking at it as if you were sitting on the Busa. i think yo could go on either side though. I would have to check the clearance again though.

the hks piece is the super-sequential, it is aluminum and is pretty light. from a "performance " standpoint the hks is MUCH better ! it doesn't blow off at low boost i.e. 1or 2 lbs, therefore when your cruising around you dont sacrifice throttle response between shifts as you would with the greddy part. btw that RFL valve is FREAKIN LOUD! BUT the performance issue comes into play again with the throttle response. i keep the hks piece in stock if you need one.

JP

the hks piece is the super-sequential, it is aluminum and is pretty light. from a "performance " standpoint the hks is MUCH better ! it doesn't blow off at low boost i.e. 1or 2 lbs, therefore when your cruising around you dont sacrifice throttle response between shifts as you would with the greddy part. btw that RFL valve is FREAKIN LOUD! BUT the performance issue comes into play again with the throttle response. i keep the hks piece in stock if you need one.

JP
YES, I do need one. How much??? I guess I need a flange also... or?

Thanks

JP
YES, I do need one.  How much???  I guess I need a flange also... or?

Thanks
Use a Tial with a 9pd spring. Can be bought for under $200 off the net. Besure to order it with the aluminum flange so that it can be welded to your plenum.

You can also ship us your plenum and we can install & weld it in the right location. If it's not mounted properly, you might not be able to get your fuel tank closed.....

frank@psychobike.com

Will a BOV be of any help when strickly drag racing? I let off the throttle kida slow after crossing the finish line to let the boost drop off slower, I dont know enough about the BOV To know if it would benifit my aplication.

Will a BOV be of any help when strickly drag racing? I let off the throttle kida slow after crossing the finish line to let the boost drop off slower, I dont know enough about the BOV To know if it would benifit my aplication.
From what I heard from Scott, it will help with traditional shifting as it keeps the boost high... with an air or electric shifter, it probably won't matter much since it stays in boost the entire shift...

Back