Blew motor on my 92 deville 78000 miles

mattyss

Rockin My Reflectors
Donating Member
Registered
My motor blew for good on Saturday a 4.9 in a 92 deville . I love the car and i think because I like it so much I keep making bad choices and putting way to much money into it .Ill post a picture up so everyone can see .Its a really nice low mile car and besides from the bad motor its a 8 out of 10 (with the bad motor a 1 out of 10 ).I went around today to get some prices from having a shop do the whole job was around $2700 with a re manufactured motor like a jasper job . the cheapest motor i found was 350 on ebay and there's one in a yard near me for 700 either one of those I can have installed for $450. I'm into the car for around 3800 right now its not worth that in perfect shape is it crazy to put at least another $1300. into it or cut and run at this point and sell it for whatever
I figure if your into to bikes you must be into cars at least a little so I value any opinions

100_0627__Small_.jpg

I'm the 2nd owner of a 91 Coupe that now has 84,000 on it and have never had any major problems. One bad injector, a window regulator and a trunk motor, shocks, tune ups, tires and general maintenance has been it for me. The car is so nice that if I blew the motor I'd replace it. Having no car payments is REALLY nice.

depends on how clean and reliable the rest of the car is. that is low miles to have an engine blow, was there a lot of hot rodding going on
rock.gif

Maybe a little to much hot rodding .the car did have some decent power

cbx the coupe has the 4.9 or the 4.5 ?

Same as yours, 4.9. Couple hundred ponies. The later Northstar had 300 ponies with those trick heads.

(umairhashmi @ Jan. 02 2007,22:52) Junk it and stick with japanese reliability.Americans dont know how to make cars that last  
tounge.gif
+1 I agree. Unless U are retired and have nothing else better to do.

If you do decide to replace it, look into going with a northstar... those are nice engines.

If you really like the car and plan to keep it for a few years, replace the engine. You won't be able to get reliable transpotation for under $3,000. I'm surprised that you only got 78,000 miles out of that motor. I had a pre-northstar Seville that had 198,000 miles on it when I traded it in. The engine was still going strong.

+1 on the Northstar. I don't remember what the milage was on mine when I traded the car. Mid-100,000s and going strong.

northstars are great i wish this had one. Guess im going to take the plates off and list it someplace as a parts car and get rid of it .thanks for advice
mad.gif

I'd keep it. It doesn't really matter what the car's worth, as long as the structure and interior mirrored the outside.

I'd even go for a new crate Northstar with a supercharger and a transmission to match.
firedevil.gif

Seriously, though, if everything else is in good shape I wouldn't hesitate to drop 10K into the powertrain.

Back