bleeding the brakes

TWISTIT

Registered
I was just wondering if anybody knows how to bleed the rear brake caliper. Any suggestion would be appericated.
Thanks Twistit

well twistit my man here goes .
1. Get a thing called a mightyvac or sumthin similar.
2. Dont want to get a M.V. or sim , get a piece of clear tubing that fits tite on the bleeder . One end on there , other end in jar with 1 inch of new clean brake fluid in it . Make sure tube end does not rise above surface of fluid .
3. Clean off master (underneath plastic , right side )
4. remove lid.
5. suck out almost all of old contaminated fluid out of master(use mightyvac or new turkey baster). Dont suck out all. You'll just put more air back in system.
6. Top up master with clean fluid .
7. Have assistant pump brake pedal a few times , and hold pedal down with constant pressure . Qwikly open an close bleeder screw.Use ,I believe,8mm boxend wrench on bleeder. Fluid will travel down hose . Assistant does not release pressure on pedal until you have closed bleeder. Repeat.
pump pedal
hold
open/close bleeder
release pedal
check level in master (never let level of fluid drop below minimum line on side of master)
repeat untill no air bubbles are visible in tubing and pedal feels solid (does not fade away when held for 30 seconds)
does not feel spongy . DO NOT GET BRAKE FLUID ON ANY PAINTED PARTS OF THE BIKE . USE ONLY WHATS RECOMENDED...DOT4 in most cases .
Good luck :)

the mighty vac is a tool that I use to make bleeding easier. It hooks on to the bleeder ,produces vacuum,so old fluid and air have no chance of re-entering the system.

I just recently ordered a MityVac and it works great. I think I paid $34.95 plus S/H for it from Newport Cycle Parts.

Brian
afro.gif

Hmmmm i may have to get a mighty vac, i just changed over to steel braided lines and man they make a BIG difference. Only thing ....now i what to replace my rear master cylinder with a chrome one...which means i'm gonna have to bleed the brakes. Of all the things its my least favorite.

YOu can make the brake bleed a one man job with a speed bleeder Example. There are a bunch of different manufactures of this thing I got mine for 10 bucks each.

What it does is allow you to loosen the bleeder and then pump without fear of air going back into the system.

I have Might-vac as well and i think the speed bleeder is an easier solution.

Additonally, when you use the vac, you are effectively pulling fluid into the braking system fromthe resevoir. When you use a speed bleeder and pump the brake you are pushing fluid in. more likely to get all the air out that way.

YOu can make the brake bleed a one man job with a speed bleeder Example. There are a bunch of different manufactures of this thing I got mine for 10 bucks each.

What it does is allow you to loosen the bleeder and then pump  without fear of air going back into the system.

I have Might-vac as well and i think the speed bleeder is an easier solution.

Additonally, when you use the vac, you are effectively pulling fluid into the braking system fromthe resevoir. When you use a speed bleeder and pump the brake you are pushing fluid in. more likely to get all the air out that way.
I just havent been able to put my life in the hands of these products yet . Factory bleeders rarely leak . These....who knows . Besides....were talkin' once or twice a year , for bleeding OR perfomance up grades . BUT...thats just me.

Back