bleeding brake lines

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Putting some new Hel brake lines on...I have been bleeding these things for like an hour and it still feels like a clutch lever.

What am I doing wrong?

You need to get a Mity Vac  
beerchug.gif
Mity Vac

Did you follow the manual
rock.gif
On the front start with the left, pump the brakes up, pull lever back about half way and crack bleeder. Before lever hits grip close bleeder, and repeat and repeat, then move to right.

Same procedure for rear. Add brake fluid DOT 4 gycol based only.

Good luck.

This is done best with two people and don't let the brake fluid get on anything.

Bingo, I got. Thanks man.

I wasn't pumping 3 or 4 times prior to opening the bleed valve.

Just once, open, pump, open...it was killing me
crazy.gif

Thanks again
super.gif

Don't forget ther are 2 bleeder screws on the rear caliper!

(tangledclown @ Apr. 08 2007,18:55) take your bike to a shop and let an expert do it...its not worth the hassle and i require good brakes!!
It's real easy to do! If you can tell the diff between a screwdriver and wrench you will not have a problem.

(05BusaLe @ Apr. 08 2007,16:01)
(tangledclown @ Apr. 08 2007,18:55) take your bike to a shop and let an expert do it...its not worth the hassle and i require good brakes!!
It's real easy to do! If you can tell the diff between a screwdriver and wrench you will not have a problem.
That's funny!!!
biggrin.gif

(05BusaLe @ Apr. 08 2007,18:01)
+1

It took about an hour to install the lines and bleed. No mighty Vac, no friends helping, just a wrench and a jar with a length of plastic hose.
1. fill reservoir, attach clear plastic hose and jar to valve.
2. pump ten or twenty times.
3. crack bleeder, look for fluid
4. close bleeder
5. repeat 2, 3, and 4 till you see bubbles coming up from the lines into the reservoir and fluid coming out plastic line attached to bleeder valve, it might take 5, 10 or 15 minutes.
6. crack an close
7. repeat till stiff
8. do other side.
9. don't let the fluid level drop down too far in the reservoir.
10. Don't spill the fluid, if you do clean it up with brake cleaner.

good luck!!!
beerchug.gif

cheers
ken

(tangledclown @ Apr. 08 2007,15:55) take your bike to a shop and let an expert do it...its not worth the hassle and i require good brakes!!
It's a very basic maintenance job...if you're afraid that you will mess something up, then by all
means take it to a PROFESSIONAL and pay him to mess it up for you  
wink.gif

(tangledclown @ Apr. 08 2007,15:52) how many have actually done this task?be honest!!
Been bleeding brake and clutch systems for about THIRTY years now...with or without a power bleeder
biggrin.gif

(tangledclown @ Apr. 08 2007,15:52) how many have actually done this task?be honest!!
Started out at about 5 years old helping my dad bleed the brakes on the old Corvair.

I replaced the brake and clutch fluid in the Busa 2 weeks ago because it was over 2 years old. About a 30 minutes job from start to finish and about as basic as it gets. Didn't even bother getting the mityvac out.

PAYING some retard at a dealership to work on (fug up) my bike doesn't give me a warm cozy feeling inside. My friends have permission to shoot me if they ever catch me taking any vehicle to a mechanic.
guns.gif

Back