Blaze thru Oregon '10

Here are some additional thoughts (pardon my grammer/spelling in advance 'cause I don't give a crap):

1. Us "East Coast" or "Southern Riders" think the Dragon/Cherahola is "Mecca" for sportbike riding, but we are in severe denial. Consider the Dragon is 11 miles and, what, 311 curves? On that 11 miles there are also 900 other motorcycles, LEO's, Sportscars, Semi's and every other motorized and unmotorized conveyance you can think of. Out West, there are a hundred roads that are over 40 miles long with a thousand clearly marked curves and we had THE ROAD TO OURSELVES; no LEO's, very little traffic or mailboxes or houses or other cars. Lots of passing lanes if necessary. Poplulation density once you get out in the 'country' is alot different than back here.

2. West Coast people (SteveO in particular) LOVE their coffee with obsessive intensity; I spent an entire hour in Yakima following Tuf around as he fiddled with his GPS trying to find a Starbucks (I laughed and laughed) as he continued to have to turn around, tried to go the wrong way down a one-way street (with a LEO parked across the street watching him with interest), having to double back when his GPS 'burped' or the road was closed due to construction...priceless :rofl:

3. The Pacific Northwest mountains are all volcanic, and all their road products are made with pumice (volcanic) rock. It makes their asphalt incredibly grippy, and also eats the daylights out of tires; several people used an entire set on our approx 1k mi trip. A downside is their gravel is also the same color (red/brown) vs. here (limestone on black tar asphalt) and it's almost impossible to spot until you are right upon it. This caused me several exaspering survivial reactions when spotting gravel while already committed to a turn and praying "please hold!". In a few cases, tar snakes, cattle guards and animal excrement (a lot of open range areas) made for some 'interesting' riding.

4. The scenery is incredible. We went from snow-capped mountains to vast mesas to tight canyons all in just a few hours. The pics we have do not begin to capture the beauty.

5. In the East, I propose we have 4 riding seasons, with spring and fall being the two 'comfortable' seasons; summer and winter neither prime seasons as both are uncomfortable. It looks like the Pacific Northwest Riders (PNR) have two seasons, but the 'summer' season is longer and more comfortable than ours. No wonder these guys can flat ride, they have a great season with great roads with little traffic or LEO worries. They could all ride my azz off and I spent a lot of time catching-up.

6. I liken the roads I rode on as more comparible to the Cherahola (long big sweepers) than the Dragon (tight 15 mph corners) although I went down one road that was a combination of both for about 40 miles (whatever that 'mountain' we climbed and went down the other side). Although, there were plenty of instances when going up or down canyons that blowing a turn (with no gardrail) meant launching yourself into a unprepared BASE jump without a parachute over a 500/1000 ft. ravine. Blowing a turn had SEVERE consequenses. Which leads to:

7. (Signage): The turns throughout the two states I rode on were clearly marked, and very consistent. Here in the East, there are turns a) not marked at all, b) a 30 MPH turn that is really a 50 MPH turn, or c) a 30MPH turn that is really a 15MPH turn - all inconsistent. On this ride, you could be pretty confident that a marked turn was correct with no big surprises once you understood what speed you could sucessfully navigate given the signage (I hear that 2X the marked speed was prime, but I could neither confirm nor deny such information). :laugh: It took me too long to get used to this; I continually found myself slowing down in blind turns that I could have accellerated thru if I had trusted the sign. I have a ton of (unfortunately) forever banned video that shows what I'm talking about, some of which I may eventually edit/post to protect the innocent.

8. This ride was very well organized and planned (hats off to mjn). Routes were planned far in advance and reconned. Riders were split off into different groups/riding styles/ability and departed at different times to keep them separated and into smaller sized groups for safety. Always had a designated lead and trail to pick up stragglers or deal with unsuspected problems. Plenty of rest stops evenly spaced for gas/food/faciliites. Had to plan gas stops because there were plenty of places where there was no/wrong kind of fuel. Our 'home base' lodging (info restricted) was first class and our hosts were very gracious and friendly. We got fed a killer breakfast (fresh eggs, scratch biscuits/muffins, real bacon, oatmeal, etc) and dinner (steaks both night with all the homemade bread, fixins/salad you could think of); I sure didn't lose any weight on this trip...

9. I cannot begin to express my appreciation to my host (SteveO) and the other board members/fellow riders on the trip. Everyone was so gracious and is very indicitive of the camaraderie of the sportbike community. SteveO a) picked me up at the airport; b) Let me stay at his house, would NOT let me sleep on the couch make me sleep in HIS bed and HE slept on his couch; c) Let me ride his almost new GENII Busa with 1300 miles and a brand new set of tires on it (just wish I'd brought it back in same condition as I left with it in...); d) Fixed me a latte every morning (remember what I said about coffee addicts?). Mark (mjn); Rich (BABusa) and Eric (Dr E) and all the other riders were very friendly and made me, the resident redneck, feel extremely comfortable/welcome...I was supposed to have the couch at our riding destination, but somehow ended up with a huge bed (still trying to figure out how that happened). I would be remiss not to mention the great welcoming dinner that Teresa (Scootergirl) made, in the middle of working her tail off, and experiencing remorse for not going along also (did I mention she also reminds me of Ashley Judd who is on my list of all-time hotties?)

All in all, a VERY memorable experience. It's already time to start trying to figure out how to politic my way into another invite (and permission from Household6). For us East Coast guys, a trip out to the Pacific Northwest comes HIGHLY recommended.

Skydivr, you are far to gracious! We too are just a bunch of Rednecks (Well, except for Eric "Dr. E") who enjoyed your company as much as you enjoyed ours! :thumbsup:

Skydivr you were a blast to have on the ride and I love how you describe our slice of heaven over hear. We just don't share it with too many people :laugh:. I hope to ride with you again as it is always fun to watch peoples eyes light up seeing the land and roads out here and you only just scratched the surface.

Now, if I can just figure out why I am always catching crap...no seriously, I think I pulled 4 lbs of cow crap off of my boots and bike! That goes in the "things not to do notebook": Do not stick ones leg out to indicate cow poop to the riders behind and then blast through the freshest road patty you can find at speed!

Hahahahahaha...knew it had to be something other then my charming personality for which I continually seem to catch the other kind of crap over!

If it were charming personality I'd be covered in 10 foot of it daily :laugh:

Again Keith, it was great to have you along. I'm a bit picky who I allow on this ride.. there are certain prerequisites that I will not compromise on. This isn't a good ride for a newer rider.. we've only had 2 crashes in 8 years.. I'd like to keep that number low.
Maturity is a very important aspect.. the ability to ride your own ride, and a firm grasp on the safety aspects of riding in a group.
On top of that, I try really hard to only bring along good folks.. people that can get along well with others.
You came highly recommended by SteveO, and I trust his judgement 100%. Again... he was spot on.

It has been said that to get into this ride, someone has to die.. That honestly isn't all that far from the truth. As it stands, I won't allow the group to get any larger. The last year attendees have first dibs for the following year. I've have a waiting list of 5-10 riders for the last few years. But, if you can make it.. you're in.

I'm not sure we could put up with a redneck two years in a row? :dunno:

Unless, such redneck would be willing to pay everyones room and board at the Ranch!:rulez:

Wish I could make one of your rides but mine just doesn't like the twisties anymore. I wil be riding to Sturgis this year , anyone want to go ?

Cool thread...nice pics!

So Rich (BABUSA) hasn't dropped off the face of the Earth. Amazing :poke: :moon:

Dr. E's bike is frigging awesome! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing Mark....you can tell it was good times for all. One thing though.....this doesn't look like the Bubba I know :whistle:

:laugh:

Yeah, he is so much cuter! :laugh:

Great shots and looks like fun was had by all.:beerchug:

Bubba (The Hooman one)

I'm not sure we could put up with a redneck two years in a row? :dunno:

Unless, such redneck would be willing to pay everyones room and board at the Ranch!:rulez:

LET THE BUTT-KISSING BEGIN!:please::please:

Again Keith, it was great to have you along. I'm a bit picky who I allow on this ride.. there are certain prerequisites that I will not compromise on. This isn't a good ride for a newer rider.. we've only had 2 crashes in 8 years.. I'd like to keep that number low.
Maturity is a very important aspect.. the ability to ride your own ride, and a firm grasp on the safety aspects of riding in a group.
On top of that, I try really hard to only bring along good folks.. people that can get along well with others.
You came highly recommended by SteveO, and I trust his judgement 100%. Again... he was spot on.

It has been said that to get into this ride, someone has to die.. That honestly isn't all that far from the truth. As it stands, I won't allow the group to get any larger. The last year attendees have first dibs for the following year. I've have a waiting list of 5-10 riders for the last few years. But, if you can make it.. you're in.

I hope my absence this year, after 5 years of attendence, does not eliminate me from future rides?

Last year I saw the pics and thought, "Wow, I would love to do this ride".

But I now find that this is an exclusive ride?

I love the shots, and the whole experience looks like tons of fun!

But, to now find that this is an exclusive ride seems somewhat off to me.

I have always thought that the rides posted here were not exclusionary, but open for all riders.
Just my 2
Bubba

Last year I saw the pics and thought, "Wow, I would love to do this ride".

But I now find that this is an exclusive ride?

I love the shots, and the whole experience looks like tons of fun!

But, to now find that this is an exclusive ride seems somewhat off to me.

I have always thought that the rides posted here were not exclusionary, but open for all riders.
Just my 2
Bubba

Here's the deal Bubba.. I started this ride 4 years before I joined this board. 4 years prior to purchasing my first Busa in '05. It was an invite only ride from the start. It continues to be now. This is not an "org" ride. It is a ride I do with my friends each year.

This is the one time each year I set aside to get away for a couple days and ride with friends, the rest of my time off is spent with my family. The town we stay in has a very limited number of beds, and our B&B can only feed so many, hence the cap on the number of riders.

I share these pics and commentary for my fellow riders to enjoy each year. Sorry it seems "off" to you, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Here's the deal Bubba.. I started this ride 4 years before I joined this board. 4 years prior to purchasing my first Busa in '05. It was an invite only ride from the start. It continues to be now. This is not an "org" ride. It is a ride I do with my friends each year.

This is the one time each year I set aside to get away for a couple days and ride with friends, the rest of my time off is spent with my family. The town we stay in has a very limited number of beds, and our B&B can only feed so many, hence the cap on the number of riders.

I share these pics and commentary for my fellow riders to enjoy each year. Sorry it seems "off" to you, but it is what it is.

Understood, did not mean to knock the ride.

Beautiful area BTW.:thumbsup:
Bubba

Looks like you'll have to get on board with skydivr! :laugh:

I call BS Tuf; I strongly suspect that you've got a warm spot all set up for Teresa; she's too cute not to have around! :inlove::laugh:

Back