black smoke

OB_jeffw

Registered
Yes Oger you are running rich, the problem you now face is *where* are you running rich. Time for a dyno run and exhaust gas analyzer to discover just where in the rpm range you are rich.

thanks,
The thing that makes me mad is that I unhooked my computer and carried it to the garage to download the new PC2 map from dynojet.

When the Bus is cold the EFI richens up the mixture, you'll notice this when the bike ticks over it'll sound like it's hunting but as the bike warms up the the EFI will start to lean up the mix and the tickover will become smother.

If you're black smoking the bike is over rich. Are you positive it's black and not blueish?.

Have a real nice day.

Z

I am pretty sure that the smoke is black. That is why I was confused, I figured with the settings from Dynojet that there was no way that I would be that rich. I was going to take it in for tuning anyway, this just gives me an extra excuse for the wife. Thanks for the help.

If it's black then you have nothing to worry about except that the mixture is over rich. Does it feel a little wallowy at low rpm when you snap the throttle wide open?.

Have a nice day.

Z

my busa pipes are black at rear and are running 12.7 to 13.4 a/f so don't guess by the tail pipe color.a rich mixture runs cooler and makes more power.

When I start my bike when it is cold a bit of blackish smoke comes out. Does this have to do with the ECM, should I adjust it, or is it normal? I just did the airbox mod, I will be dynoing it sometime next week to get the verdict.

Mine are more black than brown and it runs great. I got some cans from Dirty Pete and they were the same color. No black smoke ever. White when I first start it but it seems like vapor.

It should be a light grey sorta. If it is white your to lean if it is black your to rich. Why because if your to rich you have to much gas coming out the exhaust.

i say pull a plug out and read it . we stopped relying on tailpipe colors on our race cars years ago . with all the additives in fuel these days for the tree huggers you never know what to expect .
the dyno tune is the only way to go . if your that worried about it untill then just upload the appropriate map for your application and itll get you by . as long as your not lean . thats whatll screw ya .

sorry your wrong frank!the a/f monitor on my dyno and the power it shows says you are mistaken.lean means above stoichiometric

[This message has been edited by THE MOTORHEAD (edited 18 March 2000).]

Back